Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there a way to diable a routers firewall? I tried just hooking my cable from the modem to my pc, but for some reason it didnt work, so i thought id just try disabling it, its netgear btw

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
Some cable companies use the MAC address of the primary device to authenticate the connection - switching from one network card or router to another can result in no connectivity - a quick call to the cable company can resolve that.

Why do you need to disable the firewall? If its a specific application you can setup port forwarding.

But the firewall can be disabled on most routers - you need to log into it and find the firewall settings. Or you can but the computer you are using into the DMZ so the firewall isn't active for it - but in that case you need to assign the computer a static IP address.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
One obvious thing, you need to power cycle the broadband modem when you changed the attached device. If you had a computer connected, you MUST turn off the modem to get it to recognize the router.

I really doubt the firewall features of the router are the issue here.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so i bypassed my router, and as my luck is, it didnt work as planned, the last problem i can think of is SP2,it has a limit on connections, and the only way to disable this is by editing the TCPIP.sys file i believe, any suggestions?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.