Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm trying to hook up a router for a DSL connection on my small business network. There is currently a network between all the computers for file and print sharing and I have my DSL connection connected to a different NIC on my computer. So theres two network cables running into the computer I'm working with. I'm trying to set up a router between the computer and the dsl modem for its firewall protection, however when I hook up the router and restart the computer I can no longer connect to the internet and I'm getting a windows error saying that there is a conflicting IP address. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
85 Posts
It sounds like the router is handing out IP address in the same range as your internal network. Try unplugging from the internal network; connect the router; and configure the router to hand out IP's from a different range. I would try to stick with the 192.168.x.x network - i.e. if you are using 192.168.0.x for the internal, use 192.168.1.x for the internet side.

Once you have the router configured, plug back into your internal network and everything should be happy.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried what you said, I disconnected the internal network ethernet cable and tried again with the same problem. When I go to Network Places::properties, there is a section called Network Bridge under that is internet conn, network conn, and Net Bridge. Could the problem lie here?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The two network connections are bridged on this machine. I'm not exactly sure how the bridge works, but I'm guessing that the problem is that the resources IP address etc are shared between the two NIC's and thats why the router is having the problem could anyone explain how to get the router to work with the bridge?

·
Registered
10,254 Posts
Also . . when you insert the router between the DSL modem and the pc, you need to turn off ( unplug if necessary ) the Modem, Router and all pc's . . turn the modem on first and let the lights stabilize, then turn the router on, then one pc at a time to allow them to acquire the new ip address.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay I'll give that a shot. However, the last time I tried to install the router. I disconnected the internal Network connection. The only cable hooked up to the PC was the cable from the NIC to the router.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, I'm giving this project another shot. I haven't tried disabling the bridge yet, but the computer that connects to the internet has the IP address 192.168.0.1, is this the reason why I'm having a problem hooking the router up. Does the router also use that IP address. And if I change that address will it mess with the ICS?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.