Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ISP is Comcast and I am subscribed to a 12mbps download and a 2.5mbps upload. When I am directly connected to my modem I get around 13-30mbps (Yeah I know, I get more than what I pay for!)
However, when downloading files through my router my max download speed is 750-770 kb/s.

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium x64.

I have tried this with a Linksys WRT320N and a Netgear RangeMAX (forget model) and SAME RESULTS!!!!

I am very familiar with the menus of both.

So, is there anything I can do to unlock the true potential of my speed through my router/s?

*Added note: I have tested my router via ethernet and wireless. Same performance.

I know 750 kb/s isn't bad. In fact it is perfectly liveable.

Weird note: via speedtest.net the router and modem get the same speed. But, when I try downloading via P2P, Steam, random file sharing website; the modem outperforms every time.

Thanks for the help! My first post on techguy.org!

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
I'd download and install the latest firmware for the router, then reset it to factory defaults and reconfigure. See if that changes things.

What's the exact make/model of the Comcast modem?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already have. On both routers they are at the current firmware with Windows 7 compatibility. The modem is by Scientific Atlanta but I cannot obtain the model number at the moment. (Not home for a few days)

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Did you also reset to factory defaults after the firmware upgrade? That's an important step.

I have run across specific modem/router combinations that don't play well together. In my case, it was a Toshiba cable modem and a D-Link router. I stuck a cheap 100mbit switch between as a buffer and all was well. Even if just as a diagnostic measure, you might try that as well.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Well, an Ethernet switch is a basic network component, you get them anywhere you might buy a router.

If you have a friend with a different model router, you might consider asking him to test it in your location to see if this is simply a router/modem interface issue. You could also test your router in his location if he's reluctant to bring his to you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wireless g networks only get up to 54 mb / sec speed

if its wired straight to the modem youll get up tp 100 mb / sec

depending how far away you are, the wireless should be fast enough

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
atnerzig, you're not following the bouncing ball. His wired connections are slow, wireless doesn't enter this picture at this time.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Since two routers have an issue, I'm starting to wonder if something odd is happening with the modem...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, an Ethernet switch is a basic network component, you get them anywhere you might buy a router.

If you have a friend with a different model router, you might consider asking him to test it in your location to see if this is simply a router/modem interface issue. You could also test your router in his location if he's reluctant to bring his to you.
I believe it is a modem issue.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
I did talk to Comcast and they said all routers slow down my speed to that level. I just feel like that isn't the truth... Should I try a new modem?
That's a total crock! I've never seen any measurable slowdown with a router on any broadband connection, including Comcast. I had Comcast for years, and I had a variety of routers during that period, and I never saw anything like this.

I have Verizon FiOS now, and the same comment applies. I've used at least four routers on this service, and it's always full speed.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
This could be an issue with the modem, that's all I can think of.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I had this problem with my Linksys router. Installed a third party firmware called Tomato and my speeds are faster than the Linksys firmware.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Hard to imagine that the Linksys and the Netgear you tried had the same issue...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.