Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to set up my wireless router so that I have DSL -> Router -> All other computers. My problem is, the router is configured to be DHCP server with starting IP at 192.168.0.2 and ending at: 192.168.0.150. I don't know what RIP Direction or RIP Version is so they are both disabled. The computers trying to connect have a "very good" connection according to the wireless recievers. I'm not using a Dynamic DNS service.

One of the computers is connected directly to the router via CAT-5 cable to it's ethernet chip. This is the only computer to complete the connection and recieve a working IP. It's IP is 192.168.0.2 with Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 and Default gateway, 192.168.0.1.

I've tried manually entering IP addresses to the other computers which then reported they were connected. However they could not connect to the internet or access shared files, respond to pings, or anything.

Please help me. You guys are my last hope before I crack and pay microsoft tech support their 35 bucks to solve the problem.

·
Registered
403 Posts
KamikazeKM said:
I'm trying to set up my wireless router so that I have DSL -> Router -> All other computers. My problem is, the router is configured to be DHCP server with starting IP at 192.168.0.2 and ending at: 192.168.0.150. I don't know what RIP Direction or RIP Version is so they are both disabled. The computers trying to connect have a "very good" connection according to the wireless recievers. I'm not using a Dynamic DNS service.

One of the computers is connected directly to the router via CAT-5 cable to it's ethernet chip. This is the only computer to complete the connection and recieve a working IP. It's IP is 192.168.0.2 with Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 and Default gateway, 192.168.0.1.

I've tried manually entering IP addresses to the other computers which then reported they were connected. However they could not connect to the internet or access shared files, respond to pings, or anything.

Please help me. You guys are my last hope before I crack and pay microsoft tech support their 35 bucks to solve the problem.
If it works on one PC it should work on the others...and they will need to be set to DHCP, not static. Be sure the router stays as a DHCP server. When working correctly (as in your wired PC), the router will automatically provide the IP address, mask and default gateway. All other settings (like RIP) shouldn't be used here.

The proof of the pudding is in the tasting...and your wireless PC's need to 'taste' an IP address first. Then everything else will fall into place. Set them for DHCP then check for an IP address via the ipconfig command(assuming WinXP/2000).

If they do not receive an IP address, disable any wireless security (WEP, etc) in the router, reboot them all and try again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying.
Ok... I checked ipconfig /all and I found some info:
Apparently my IP rounting is not enabled...
and my WINS proxy is also not enabled.
My computer was given an IP, but I have absolutly no idea where this one popped up from: 169.254.208.191
with subnet mask: 255.255.0.0
I pinged that IP from the computer with that IP and I got 0% ping loss.
From the connected computer, the operation timed out all four times.

Under windows IP configuration:
Host name: that computer's name
Primary Dsn suffix: *blank*
Node type: Broadcast

also, the connection-specific Dns suffix: NO

What I just can't understand is where that IP came from... If anyone has any clues or sees any settings i should change, please post. Thanks.

Ps - right now I'm working on one comupter only, and my bro who think's he knows everything decided he wants to try his laptop on his own so I'll deal with is comp later.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I'm now stuck with the one last remaining problem on my network. The other computers I've tried to connect, connected without a problem. Got their IP and everything within seconds. My only problem now is the last PC. It keeps on getting an IP that is nowhere close to the range I specified. I keep getting 169.254.208.191, when the range is: 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.150. Anyone have any idea on what causes this and how to fix it?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KamikazeKM said:
Ok, I'm now stuck with the one last remaining problem on my network. The other computers I've tried to connect, connected without a problem. Got their IP and everything within seconds. My only problem now is the last PC. It keeps on getting an IP that is nowhere close to the range I specified. I keep getting 169.254.208.191, when the range is: 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.150. Anyone have any idea on what causes this and how to fix it?
It also seems that my wireless card is recieving data from the network, but the connection that displays limited or no connectivity shows that I'm recieving no information. Apparently the data gets cut off somewhere in the computer...

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
The 169.254... addr is an IP addr issued by Windows when the PC TCP/IP connection cannot contact a DCHP server (your wireless router in this case). Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA) uses addresses 169.254.0.1 to 169.254.255.254, subnet mask 255.255.0.0. Th APIPA address will continue to be used until a DHCP server is located.

Am I right in understanding that apart from the PC with the problem you do have at least one example of each a wired and a wireless PC-router connection working? And that the connection that remains not working is a wireless connection? So the router (wired and wireless) is certainly not the issue.

It could be something as simple as poor signal, so have you tried moving the equipment to improve signal strength?

Are you using encryption? If yes is it switched on in both router and adaptor, and if yes have you entered the correct key on both ends?

If you already have one wireless connection working OK cross check with it that you have all the settings correcting the PC still giving the problem.

If you have tired everything to try to achieve good signal strength, ensured settings are correct in the wireless adaptor (i.e identicial to the know nworking adpaptor) you may find the bottom line is that you have a faulty adaptor card.

Or a final thought: is the card from the same manufacturer as the wireless router (you have not mentioned any makes/models of kit thus far)? Sometimes it is possible to encounter incompatibilities between different manufacturers implementations of the same protocols (shouldn't happen but it does).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hm... Actually it just might be a crappy router. Cuz I have the 2wire DSL where you can use wireless internet, but I wanted to get the file and printer sharing of LAN so I got a Netgear router from newegg: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-122-011&depa=5
The reason I'm blaming the router is because the 2wire wireless internet is giving me a fine signal, and I get an IP. The DSL signal is recognized in a few seconds, while it takes up to a minute to link to the netgear signal. And then I don't get an IP. The wierd thing is, the computer is now accepting a static IP and I can connect to the internet throught the netgear router at the speed of a 56k modem... So seeing as how the DSL modem works fine, do you think I should try another router?

·
Registered
403 Posts
KamikazeKM said:
Hm... Actually it just might be a crappy router. Cuz I have the 2wire DSL where you can use wireless internet, but I wanted to get the file and printer sharing of LAN so I got a Netgear router from newegg: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-122-011&depa=5
The reason I'm blaming the router is because the 2wire wireless internet is giving me a fine signal, and I get an IP. The DSL signal is recognized in a few seconds, while it takes up to a minute to link to the netgear signal. And then I don't get an IP. The wierd thing is, the computer is now accepting a static IP and I can connect to the internet throught the netgear router at the speed of a 56k modem... So seeing as how the DSL modem works fine, do you think I should try another router?
Actually, Netgear makes quality products, and I would put them a step above Linksys any day of the week.

Now then, your reply here sounds suspiciously like you have another router in place. Recent conversations with a co-worker have indicated DSL providers (Verizon, etc) are providing DSL modem/routers to their customers...it's an 'all-in-one' kinda box. Is that what you have?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
squidboy said:
Actually, Netgear makes quality products, and I would put them a step above Linksys any day of the week.

Now then, your reply here sounds suspiciously like you have another router in place. Recent conversations with a co-worker have indicated DSL providers (Verizon, etc) are providing DSL modem/routers to their customers...it's an 'all-in-one' kinda box. Is that what you have?
I do believe you are correct.
And now the Lan's working.... and the computer is getting it's IP again.
wtf.... well, all that matters is that it's working

Sorry for bothering you people with a problem caused by my wireless inexperience.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.