Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a place that's using Win2K server with Windows 2K & XP machines that login to this domain server. The owner of this establishment wants to have roaming profiles enabled, because the business is expected to expand shortly, and they will have a lot more employees.

I can set up roaming user profiles for the local machines that save to the server; that's not a problem. Here's what IS a problem:

They log into a domain server, and the primary profile is for the domain, let's call it IDO. As you all know, when you try to use the "copy to" command within windows 2k or xp, you can only do it for profiles that are not affiliated with a domain server. I need this profile, because it is the primary one that is used, and because they need network access to their My Documents folder and they aren't saavy enough to browse for it.

Any suggestions?

· Registered
5 Posts
I'm not sure what the real problems are? Is it just the My Documents issue? Set up a policy to redirect all My Documents for the Domain to the server. Then wherever they logon, they'll have their personal My Documents....

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the root problem is that I want to copy the domain profile on the local machine to the server, but it won't let me. The Copy To option is grayed out for the default profile.

· Registered
160 Posts
Gandell -

I'm pretty sure that the local profile on the server supercedes the profile on the local machine. If for instance the user cannot authenticate to the PDC it will default to the local profile.

Are you saying that when the user authenticates to the PDC that the profile is not updated?

One other thought: The user on the local machine needs administrative rights to create a profile to use the "copy to" command". Maybe this is why it's greyed out.

here is a helpful link for you.

http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...port/kb/articles/q243/4/20.asp&NoWebContent=1

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found it!

The trouble is, you have to log into the machine as the admin to the SERVER....not as the admin to the LOCAL MACHINE. I was able to copy it up and update the roaming profiles. Thanks for your help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.