Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright,

My boss wants roaming profiles active and I have it all setup for the users but he wants to take the account that already exsists on the computer (Local Profile) and make that the persons roaming profile which I have no idea how to do or if its possible. Also most people here have logged onto more than one computer also.

My Idea was to copy all their files from the computers they have been on into their roaming profile file on the server and just delete there account off that computer. I think it would work it would just take time and frustration.

What do you think to do?

· Registered
7,276 Posts
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;312138

"When you logon to the network for the first time with a particular user account that has roaming enabled, a roaming profile is automatically created. "

Have the user pick their "favorite" workstation with the MOST data they want to retain and use this for first time login. After this you have to manually grab things from other systems.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok I figured out that problem but now my boss wants this:

He wants people to be able to access their emails with roaming profiles. Like for example if a computer crashed we could just plug in a laptop and have all of that persons emails just come right up. We use POP3 not Exchange so I do not know if this is possible.

Please reply!!!

· Registered
7,276 Posts
You can't DIRECTLY do this.

What email client are you using? If your using Outlook (not OE) you can use the Office resource kit software to create configuration files for each person to make it a lot easier setting up outlook each time.

Mind you this link is for 2003 but the prf file has been around since Office 200 I think maybe even 97.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ork2003/HA011403051033.aspx

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.