Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got with RoadRunner DSL/Time Warner a few months ago, and I was downloading from a particular site at 300kb/s and pinging 20 on a game I play. I reformated and had to reinstall the DSL using the RoadRunner disc and all that, and now I download at about 150kb/s tops and ping about 80-100 on this game. Does anyone know what this could be?

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
i thought rr was all cable.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The handbook and everything says "RoadRunner DSL" but uhh, yeah. lol I have a cable modem with it and everything.

Someone said that it could be because I didn't install the RoadRunner software properly? That can be the difference?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Ummm... Road Runner is a cable Internet provider. Anyways, here's what I have to say...

Why don't you call up Time Warner and see if they can help you out there?

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
9,126 Posts
Hyphen said:
The handbook and everything says "RoadRunner DSL" but uhh, yeah. lol I have a cable modem with it and everything.

Someone said that it could be because I didn't install the RoadRunner software properly? That can be the difference?
You should not need to install any software. Logon should be handled by the modem. But if you did install DSL software, yeah it could affect your internet.

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
what logon thru the modem?

i've had rr for several years and am not aware of any need to logon to the modem.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Unless RR is different there, there is no software required. You should have a DOCSIS compliant modem, which will connect to any version of Windows with no additional software. I do recommend a firewall for a direct connection to the cable modem. :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hey there feller, I just had a problem with them..3 1/2 hour phone call for them to determine that it was my modem.

go to speedtest (no http or www) . (your state's intials) . rr . com...follow the directions. Don't know if you pay for regular or gamer's speed. Regular you should get 6 megs down (even though they lie admittedly and say more like 4.2) If you are not getting the listed 4.73 or 76 then by all means, call the international help desk. Be prepared when you do. If you don't use their supported router...hardwire your computer back to their modem, or they will blame it on that. If all else is fine should only take bout 2 hours so make some time. (I just went thru that and I swear this new modem sucks just as bad:D)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.