Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have managed to lose the drop down menu that displays when one selects Header/Footer from the "View" option on the Word toolbar.

What I did was accidentally drag it over the toolbar and released the mouse button which resulted in the drop down menu not displaying when I select Header/Footer from the "View" option.

What does happen when I select Header/Footer is the header and footer in the document currently open displays the header/footer boxes.
I can edit what exists in the open document but there is no way to create new headers/footers or use the options normally available on the Header/Footer drop down menu.

I've searched on just about every word and phrase I can think of in Word Help, but alas it's not being very helpful. Perhaps someone here can help me out.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
17,584 Posts
The toolbar should have embedded itself in the main toolbar in that case. You should be able to grab the left hand end of it and undock it.

If that does not work for some reason, I think toolbar settings are held in "normal.dot", so with Word closed, search for and rename any "normal.dot" files to "normal.old". Then restart Word.

You will need to enable hidden files and folders under Search or you will not find the file(s). There must be at least one.

Normal.dot is the default template, and when Word does nor find the file when it runs, it creates a new one with all standard defaults.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.