Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where to post this. I have a disk that was working just fine, yesterday. It's about 1/3 full of files. This morning, I put it in the drive and I get the dreaded "disk is not formatted" error and no idea why.

This is a perfectly good disk. I tried it on two computers this morning with the same result. How can I retrieve the data? I know there's a way.

I have Windows XP on all computers.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
innybuddy?

I tried opening a Word file from the recently opened files list. I got the "we had a problem opening your file" error, with suggestions for recovering the data. But, I can't run either Recover Text or Open and Repair unless I can see the file.

How does a disk go from working one day to unformatted the next?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
innybuddy?

I tried opening a Word file from the recently opened files list. I got the "we had a problem opening your file" error, with suggestions for recovering the data. But, I can't run either Recover Text or Open and Repair unless I can see the file.

Another weird thing. When I went back to the recently opened files list, the file for that disk is no longer on the list. I tend to have interesting, if not entertaining problems.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, using Bad Boy's free evaluation, I was able to see all the files, however, of course to recover them I have to buy the product.

Aren't there any share/freeware file recovery programs?

·
Super Moderator
43,954 Posts
Static could be the cause.

Try searching www.majorgeeks.com or www.download.com for those programs. I haven't had the need to use those so...

just out of interest, go into command prompt and see if you can access the files from there. (Start > Run > type CMD > then type A: )

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.