Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Restrictions error

2K views 44 replies 4 participants last post by  Chuck2003 
#1 ·
I'm running Windows 2000 Pro on my computer at home here, and I haven't converted to NTFS yet.

Everything was working fine until I booted up this morning, where I got the following error message: This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Etc...

That would be fine, if I wasn't the system administrator of my own computer!.

I can't open anything. The only way I can get an IE window is by opening an HTML document or by clicking a link. Also, occassionally it says that the .lnk file can't be found or accessed.

So help me please! I don't want to lose anything on my computer, but I want it back to normal!

#2 ·
Originally posted by Chuck2003:
I'm running Windows 2000 Pro on my computer at home here, and I haven't converted to NTFS yet.

Everything was working fine until I booted up this morning, where I got the following error message: This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Etc...

That would be fine, if I wasn't the system administrator of my own computer!.

I can't open anything. The only way I can get an IE window is by opening an HTML document or by clicking a link. Also, occassionally it says that the .lnk fline can't be found or accessed.

So help me please! I don't want to lose anything on my computer, but I want it back to normal!
I would go into safe mode and then undo if you can remember anything you did last night.

Or reboot and click I think I'm not sure with 2000pro f5 or f8 as it's rebooting and tell it to go back to the last know good configuration.

#4 ·
Try this:

Copy the bold to Notepad, and save as remove.inf

Rightclick the file and choose "install".

Afterwards reboot, and tell us whether that helps.

[version]
signature="$Windows NT$"

[DefaultInstall]
DelReg=DelTemps

[DelTemps]
HKCU, "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer"
HKLM, "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer"

#8 ·
BTW, Tony.... about your first suggestion...

The only way I can get MSN Messenger is because it appears in the system tray a while after I try and open it. So I have that much. ... But what I had to do with the Notepad thing was get a friend to make the file and then send it to me. I can't even open Notepad.

#10 ·
Originally posted by Chuck2003:
Nope... won't work.

I just converted to NTFS, and assigned Administrator Full Control to everything...

Still getting the same message.
Did you check to see if you have any virus you might not be aware of, this doesn't seem right Chuck.

Try running a full scandisk, goto start/run type in command.

type in cd .. enter and again untill you just get to the c: prompt and then type in scandisk.
This might not help your problem but will fix alot of cross links lost data.

Also you can run your virus scan from the command line also. Something is stopping you from full access and if it just happen this morning something seems very strange to me there. Do you let anyone else use the computer?

Also try putting in the 2000 Cd in drive again and reboot and see if you can load the original settings.

I hope some of these ideas will help. Hang in there.

J

#14 ·
Download the attached Remove.txt, and save in the root folder (usually C: ) as Remove.reg

When you've done that, copy the following bold text to Notepad, and save as Remove.bat in a location of your choice

@ECHO OFF
Regedit /s C:\Remove.reg
Cls

Should you have saved remove.reg on a different drive from C:, adapt the path in the batch file accordingly.

Now drag Remove.bat to your Startup folder (Start > Programs > Startup), and reboot your computer, so that the batch file gets executed on boot.

Good luck,

Attachments

#18 ·
Good enough...

By the way, a bit of background on me... (while I wait for my friend to return to his computer, seeing I can't open Notepad to do the second step of that last suggestion)...

I just finished a Network Administration course at college... covering all the necessary topics for the MCSE certification... although I've yet to write them.

Thought I'd add that just to say that I'm not *completely* computer illiterate. This problem here just has me totally baffled, that's all.

#20 ·
It's almost as if there's something wrong with the shell... because even when I manage to open MSN Messenger through the system tray (which, I discovered is possible ocne I sign into a Passport site) clicking on the Messenger icon either in the start menu, or in the quick start menu still yields the same error.

#21 ·
Well, this is one of the hardest ones I've had the pleasure to see.
Unfortunately Win 2000 has fewer possibilities than XP to get you out of such a bind.

I've had a little talk with Mosaic1, and she suggested renaming the batch file to autoexec.bat

If you already have an autoexec.bat file, rename it temporarily, or even add the three lines in Remove.bat to it.

Reboot, and see whether that works.

Also, try running an online scan at Panda Active Scan

#22 ·
I'm gonna have to send my autoexec.bat file to someone and get them to put it in... because I can't open anything to edit it with.

Any specific place you recommend this go in the file?

I'm scanning with Panda while waiting for your response. (I was doing it earlier, but cancelled to try something you suggested earlier)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.