Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up my new PC. I've copied a back-up of my old Outlook info using Outlook.pst, overwriting the new one.

Everything's there, but I can't use the contacts when e-mailing. When I click on "To" it says it can't access it. I can vaguely remember the last time I did this and I had to make sure it was pointing at the right place. Could someone be good enough to remind me?

Ta :)

·
Retired Moderator
14,171 Posts
Hi CHH

Right click on the Contacts folder > Properties
Place a check mark in: Show this folder as an email address book

If that does not get the Contacts working, what version of Outlook are you using?

·
Retired Moderator
14,171 Posts
Tried that, no luck!!
Was the option Show this folder as an email address book available or greyed out?

Do you have this option? I am looking at Outlook 2003.

Tools > E-mail accounts

Try one of the following options under Directory:
View or change existing directories or address books
Add a new directory or Address Book

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tried that. What happens now is when I try to access the address book I still get the same error messsage but if I go through that and select the drop down from "show names from the..." I get :-

Outlook address book
Contacts
Contacts

The default appears to be the first contacts list which is empty. If I select the 2nd one I get my full list of contacts.

How can I zap the first one?

Ta :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am having this exact same problem - with my calendar. when i imported my .pst file to my new computer i got 2 contacts folders, 2 calendars, and 2 task folders. The default folders are the ones that are empty - and they can't be deleted since they are the defaulf folders. But all of the info that i imported is in the second folders. It's all there - but as secondary info. Auto fill won't fill in email addresses, and reminders won't work on items in the secondary folders. What to do! I even deleted everthing and imported again - but to no avail...

·
Retired Moderator
14,171 Posts
In Outlook 2003
Tools > E-mail Accounts > View or change existing e-mail accounts
In the drop down box under: Deliver new e-mail to the following location:
select the Personal Folder you want to set as the new delivery location.
Finish

You should then be able to Right click on the old Personal Folders you want removed and select: Close to remove it from your Profile.

Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
63 Posts
there are two items in the drop down list, both say the exact same thing (so it's very hard to know which is which) I've tried setting both as the new delivery location, but was not able to delete the second calander or task folders. As a matter of fact the email folders were the only thing that WAS right, but now I have a complete set of duplicate email folders as well (that can't be deleted because it contains inbox, outbox, etc. that are system folders that can't be deleted). It's gotten so confusing that i think I'm going to have to wipe it clean and start over.

·
Retired Moderator
14,171 Posts
If you change the name of the Personal Folders that will make it easier.

Right click the Personal Folder > Properties > General tab > Advanced button

Rename the folder, click OK twice to save and close.

Then try changing the default delivery location.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The email portion of Outlook seems to be OK. I renamed the personal folder that i imported, made it the delivery location and was able to "close" the original email folder. BUT - I still have 2 calendars, 2 address books, and 2 task folders. The one i imported has all of the info in it, but I can't delete to other one. And obviously my address book folder is not in sync with my email account because when composing an email message I do not have the ability to use any of the addresses in my address book when I click on the "to" section of the email. And if I set up a task or a calendar appointment it pops up a window that says no reminder will be sent because this item is not in my calendar (or task). So obviously I've got multiple accounts/folders set up and they are not in sync. Frustrated.

·
Retired Moderator
14,171 Posts
I just did an Import of one of my Personal Folders to a new .pst and duplicate folders were only created that actually existed. :confused:

Try selecting the items in the secondary folders and dragging them into the default folders. What happens then?

Do you still have the original .pst file you started Importing from?
If so, does it also contain duplicate folders?
What version of Outlook was it created in?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Because the problem is now with the contacts, calendar, tasks, and notes (and not the email account itself) I don't know how to drag items into the default folders. Unlike the email the calendar (and others) appear to be just one large file rather than individual folders.

Unfortunately, this problem has been going on for weeks now, and my wife (this problem is on HER computer) did a new back up of her .pst file last weekend. So the back up file now has duplicate folders. I do still have the ORIGINAL .pst file that we exported from her old computer - but it's now a month old and I'm not sure how much good it would do her if I were able to restore that one for her...

All of these accounts and backups were created using the same version - Outlook 2003.

·
Retired Moderator
14,171 Posts
Go > Folder
Click on the duplicate Contacts folder, click on one item in the duplicate Contacts folder:
Edit > Select All
Then Click on one of the highlighted items and Drag to the Default Contacts folder.

This action should move all the Contacts into the Default Contacts folder leaving the duplicate Contacts folder empty.

Using the same procedure, move the items from the Duplicate Notes, Calendar and Tasks folders into their Default folders.

You should then be able to delete the Duplicate folders, and hopefully the Reminders that have been set will start popping up.

If Recurring Tasks or Reminders fail to start, recheck them and make sure any Recurring Tasks set in the past have been marked as Completed so they can regenerate if necessary.

Let us know your results.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.