Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just spent ages and ages setting up a dual boot of XP + Ubuntu Studio. Actually it was my brother who did it and I'm too embarrassed to tell him that I've already messed it up!
So I'm trying to get the windows back to it's last bootable state (that option doesn't work in the boot menu) using Trinity Rescue Kit 3.3, which is based on Linux, and runs from a CD.
I've managed to burn an ISO and do a virus scan. What I want to do is to somehow access the system restore and undo the changes I did before the Windows got messed up.
All I did to mess up the Windows was to uninstall a trial version of Bufferzone Pro using Ashampoo. The computer became unresponsive so I switched it off with the off button and then tried to restart. It beeps once and almost gets to the welcome screen. Safe Mode doesn't work, nor does 'open in last bootable state'.

So I am trying to recover the system because I need to do some work on a system I am familiar with. I know next to nothing about Linux, and commands. If you could help me I would greatly appreciate this!

Peter

·
Registered
20,583 Posts
Hi fuzexi,

Since you are trying to restore a WinXP instance to a previous restore point, you might want to consider posting a new message over in the WinXP forum, pointing them to this thread for assistance. The chances are that someone with a WinXP platform in that forum has used the Trinity Rescue kit for the same purpose as you intend.

Here is a link to a common scenario for use of the Trinity Rescue Kit.

I seem to recall that C:\system32 may be the directory in which the restore points are a member of one of the subfolders - I do not remember the path. What you should be able to do is first, find the pathname to the restore directory/folder and look at the dates of the restore points - only you know the date which you did the modifications that resulting in your situation.

A standard way of restoring the system is by using a restore point - so, if you can a least login after running the AVs to clean up the Windows partition, you can:
1) click Help and Support Center, and under Pick a task, click Undo change to your computer with System Restore
2) On the Welcome to System Restore screen, click Restore my computer to an earlier time, and then click Next
3) Select a restore point on the Select a Restore Point screen, and then click Next
4) At the Confirm Restore Point screen, click Next to initiate the Restore process.

If you are not satisfied with the results, you can rerun System Restore and select another restore point, or you can select the Undo my last restoration option available on the Welcome to System Restore screen.

-- Tom

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thanks.

I will post to the Windows forum as you say.
I can't log in though, if I could I would just click on a restore point no problem. Problem is I can't log in. It just freezes before it even gets to the login screen. I was hoping somehow to activate the system restore using Linux...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just spent ages and ages setting up a dual boot of XP + Ubuntu Studio. Actually it was my brother who did it and I'm too embarrassed to tell him that I've already messed it up!
So I'm trying to get the Windows back to it's last bootable state (that option doesn't work in the boot menu) using Trinity Rescue Kit 3.3, which is based on Linux, and runs from a CD.
I've managed to burn an ISO of the Trinity Rescue Kit and do a virus scan running of the ISO CD (although I knew that it didn't have any viruses). What I want to do is to somehow access the system restore via the TRK and undo the changes I did before the Windows got messed up.
I messed up the Windows by uninstalling a trial version of Bufferzone Pro using Ashampoo. The computer became unresponsive so I switched it off with the off button and then tried to restart. It beeps once and almost gets to the welcome screen. Safe Mode doesn't work, nor does 'open in last bootable state'.

So I am trying to recover the system because I need to do some work on a system I am familiar with. I know next to nothing about Linux, and commands. If you could help me I would greatly appreciate this!

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
I've merged your threads here. Please do not open multiple threads on the same topic.

Tom, I'm very disappointed that somebody with your participation and a six year member would advise somebody to open a duplicate thread. Naughty, naughty.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I did change a few of the words on the new thread!
I think Tom was unclear that I couldn't log into Windows at all... that's why on the duplicate I mentioned more specifically that I did the virus scan using TRK. From the looks of his response he thought I had completed the virus scan on Windows and could access System Restore.
I also might be barking up the wrong tree. I read about two recovery systems and mixed them up. I was reading about MSDaRT which apparently allows you to get to the System Restore. However I couldn't download it anywhere so then went for TRK. I then imagined that TRK would let you access the System Restore.
I can't find any guides anywhere on the net that walk a newbie through using TRK (or Linux for that matter) in plain English. I spent most of yesterday searching... I'm sure there must be a lot of people in my position, who have a non-working computer but not enough knowledge to fix it.
Again, I'd greatly appreciate any help as to the best course of action.

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
The second half of this post describes how to do a System Restore using the Vista installation DVD. Perhaps you can do the same thing with an XP installation CD.

There are members who post in this forum who know far more than I do about such repairs and restores, so you are likely to get some more advice. Do you have an XP installation CD? Or Recovery disks or partition?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.