Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey I cant seem to get knoppix to restart I can click the button and knoppix shuts down but wont reboot all I see is flashing colours across the screen I have a dell p4 2.8 GHZ 512 MB RAM. it wont boot again no matter what I do {press ctrl+alt+del or even press the power button} the only way is to unplug the computer, to me this seems a little drastic there has to be a better way!?
any coments or sugestions are welcome.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I can't help with the Knoppix problem but rather than pulling the plug try holding down the power button for 10 seconds. Should shut down the machine and it's a bit safer then just yanking the plug.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
as knoppix does its shutdown routine do you get any !!! warnings? or area's where it seems to hang for a minute.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive tried holding the power button for a while Ill try timing it for 10 secs. and no it doesn't hang or give me any warnings, knoppix just shuts down and the colors come up.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the reply

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
knoppix is still doing the same thing but holding down the power button for 10 secs works at least shuts off the comp. its better than nothing thanks again :up:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried the commands you sugested but it still dose the same thing, but heres another question what is the "su" command for?

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
It gives that instance of terminal root access to the system. If you're logged in as a user and need to do an administrative act, you can use su to do it(have to type you're root password though).

Have you tried waiting a couple minutes? When it starts to do the flashing stuff, just leave it and go do something else for a while. Come back and see if it's changed at all.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep ive left it for about 20 minutes

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.