Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well don`t ask how I did it, cause I don`t know. I was moving a PCI modem to a diff slot(I was having problems with it), I removed a network card(I knew I wasn`t ever going to use), and put the modem card where the network card was to see if modem would work in that slot. Well, big mistake on my part I guess, now when I boot up, I get the screen recognizing mem/hd/, and the rest, get one beepj, and then goes to Windows splash screen, then it goes to the Microsoft Windows startup menu, then if I let it go to safemode, it will, but when I shut it down in safemode, and turn it back on I get this "while initializing device PTVCD: Windows protection error, you need to restart. Well I restart, does the same thing over. If I don`t let it go into safemode at the startup menu, but tell it normal, it goes to the same window telling me "while initializing device PTVCD: Windows protection error, you need to restart. I restart, and it does the same thing over. I tried putting the card I had taken out into the same slot it was in, made no diff. This is a first for me, kind of lost, any help appreciated. Running 98se.

Regards
Peters321

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I`m going to mark this thread as solved, it ended up having nothing to do with removing the network card, it was a corrupt driver file, after removal, I stopped getting the error msg. I`m still having modem problems, but I will start a diff thread for that.

Regards
Peters321

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.