Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a blank email from someone I know recently with the subject line Re: Incoming Message. After looking at it my computer started behaving very oddly. Foolishly, instead of running a virus scan, I tried to restart my machine. It was running Windows 98 SE. After it failed to restart (giving me a message about a missing VXD file from the path or something like that), I tried to reinstall an earlier version of Windows. (98 First Edition) Now, Windows Setup can't finish (I get an error during the hardware initialization process), Windows won't start in Safe mode, with or without CD-ROM support, and worst of all, even when I start from a command prompt and type Format C: it says bad command or file name. The hard drive has a number of bad sectors on it in addition to the virus (which I think is W32/[email protected]) Is this salvagable in any way shape or form? If I have to reformat or get a new hard drive is there any way to save the contents of My Documents? I can provide more information on the error messages at Windows setup and startup if it would help but I'd have to go through setup again (20-30 minutes) so if they're not necessary I'd rather not. This may be my most difficult problem yet so I'm not getting my hopes up, but TSG has always come through in the past. HELP!

·
Registered
45,855 Posts
If you are getting an error on the "format c:" command itself, you may have an bad or incomplete boot floppy. Try creating a new one from the Win98 OEM setup file here:

http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

This must be downloaded to a hard drive first, then the setup file run to copy files to a floppy.

You may also need to supply us with the exact Setup errors you are getting.

If you still get the "bad command" error, try

fdisk /status

and see if your partition information gets displayed correctly.

Also enter:

dir c:\vmm32.vxd /s

and see if the vmm32.vxd shows up in c:\windows\system where it belongs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.