Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Easy stuff first – refresh your SCSI card in device manager. This should happen every time you boot, but it is worth a try. Remove your SCSI card in device manager and reboot. Windows will reinstall it and it will re-detect all of the SCSI components. Your little utility gave no report on the SCSI bus, which is what you are interested in. My old Umax would go AWOL and I would have to change the SCSI ID to get it back. Make sure there are no yellow exclamation marks while you are in device manager.

Uninstall VistaScan (or MagicScan if you use that). Do a search for TWAIN and delete any files you find – there should be several in the Windows folder. Do a search for Umax and VistaScan (or MagicScan) and delete any files you find. Reinstall VistaScan.

What happens is that the twain files become corrupted and an uninstall doesn’t remove them. A reinstall doesn’t replace them if they are there. This is the Umax procedure for an AWOL scanner – works for most others as well. Umax also recommends emptying the recycle bin before reinstalling VistaScan.

If you just do point and shoot scanning it is of no consequence, but all Umax SCSI scanners can use their high end MagicScan driver. It is much better for quality work if you involve yourself with tweaking the scans. Big download though. Description: http://www.scantips.com/umaxms.html I used it for years with my S-12. Look around the rest of that site – good info there.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Isn’t it nice when it works out? Wish it always went that way.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.