Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I added a hp cd-rom, cd-rw, dvd
to my system and when i plug everything
back up, I got an error message during boot up.
I've learned that there is no power getting to my hard
drive, or the existing cd-rom or the new cd-rw/ dvd, but
the floppy disk drive is getting power.
I checked all the power and ide cables and still no power.

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
Try a differnt power connector.

If your using pass through type of connectors make sure you have them connected properly, some of them can fool you and you can actually hook your devices to a connector without the four power wires going to it. You need to trace the wires from the device to the power supply making sure you have four wires in each connector and a path all the way to the supply.

My son did that once on accident and couldn't for the life of him figure why he couldn't boot up. Had the harddrives connected to the wrong plug on a pass through.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cables were working just fine, before I added a
hp cd burner.
When I plug everything back up, I got an error message.
Boot device failure. I checked the bios and saw that nothing was being detected, except the floppy drive.
Not the hd, or the cd-rom, which were working fine before, or the hp cd-rw/dvd I just added.

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
Did you jumper the new device properly to master/slave depending on where you installed it. Also try changing the master/slave designations on the new drive and the device it is connected with

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The hd is on the primary ide controller by itself, and the cd-rom is on the secondary ide jumped as the master, and the hp cd burner is on the second ide jumped as the slave.

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
Make sure all the cables are tight, the red stripe on the cable to pin 1 on the drives and the motherboard. Try the burner as master, some don't like to be slaves.

It really sounds like you have a cable backwards

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bless you my dear friend.
I tried everything you said and I made the burner the master and so far so good. You've have been a great help.
I can't thank you enough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.