Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys
i have a harddisk of 10 gb now i decided to upgrade it i bought a new harddisk(40 gb), i made this drive(new) as the salve to the previous one . First it was showing me aroung 38,000+ mb in the fdisk command. The person who was upgrading said that he will partition it in 4 diff drives. The partition did well for the first 2 times but when he tried for the 3rd time he wasnt able to get it. He was getting some error msg(sorry i dont know that error msg).So he deleted all the partiotion,and then he formatted the whole drive. And when we came back to Windows it is showing us just 31.4 gb(32153 mb) now where as the rest of space gone. So i decided it to scan it.ScanDisk normally shows 12,00,000+ cluster all the drives what ever is thier size. But for this drive it is just showing 10,00,000+.
is there something like hidden clusters.
now i dont know what the problem is plzz help me

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
What operating system are you running, see below for info on win95 problems with drives larger than 32gig

Microsoft Windows 95 (all versions) will not properly partition and format a drive larger than 32 GB without a high probability for data loss. Both Microsoft and Western Digital recommend upgrading your Operating System to Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition or Windows Millennium if you are using a drive with a capacity larger than 32 GB. For more information on this limitation, read the Microsoft's Knowledgebase Article Q246818.

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
It could be a bad drive, download the drive diagnostic software from the drive manufacturer.

It could also be a bios limitation on your machine, you may need to use installation software from the drive vendor to install an overlay patch to allow your system to see the full size of the drive, once again you should check with the drive manufacturer

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if it is a bad drive
then it should have showed me on the very first time i entered it
can u plzz provide me with some information abt that installation software
thanx 4 ur help

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.