Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I have an *.avi file and some mp3s that I need to delete, but I cant since Win XP keeps giving the message: "Cannot delete file or folder: it is in use by another person or program".

I have shut down, rebooted, shut all apz using the file, but I cant delete the file.

I saw a 'solved' thread talking about exactly the same problem as mine on this site, but it became solved and wasn't explanatory except that the values of the file's name in registry were required to be deleted and the computer should be rebooted to delete the files.

MY question is: where in registry do I find the name and value of the file? The data is stored on C:/temp and it's an avi file.

Thanks!!
Coolstone

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
If you use regedit, you can search both keys and values for the name of the file. go to Start - Run and type regedit and click OK. CTRL + F will open the search window.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks....just confirming if I have gotten anything wrong: So deleting the values and info in places where the name exists and then rebooting the file wouild allow me to delete the file right?

Coolstone

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
That would be my guess. Use the F3 button after each find to search for the next instance, it could be in several places. You might want to export the key prior to deleting the value in case you remove something necessary.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe there's something else I should try....my regedit wouldnt find anything that matches the file I want to delete.

Which values do I need to delete in the registry?

Here's background info.

I was transferring the file from one drive to another and suddenly windows explorer from which I had dragged and dropped the file in the destination directory, got conked, using 100% CPU and was doing the file transfer job slowly. After the file transfer was finally over, the Internet explorer /windows explorer kept eating 100% CPU power for no reason, finally I terminated the IE in the task manager.

Now I have two problems.
1) although the *.avi file transfer was complete from one drive to the other, it cannot be deleted in either drive.
2) everytime I launch windows explorer, it goes bonkers eating 100% CPU power.

What's the solution to both?
Coolstone

PS: Where do I find which values in the registry to delete the file I want to?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
That does not sound like it will have anything in the registry. I believe that the copy operation actually failed and the system is holding the file open trying to complete the copy. Have you rebooted? If so, and still a problem, try to copy the file to a different location as you will not be able to overwrite it while locked. It may be one of those gremlins that will be hard to conquer. You could probably delete it if you booted a w2k CD and choose repair install and then console. It will ask for the admin password to that install, but from there you should be able to delete the file. What OS are you using?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
XP has a restore function, if you restore to the day prior to the failed copy operation, it should be gone. I don't have XP, old hardware doesn't seem to like XP much. I just did a clean install of w2k pro as my 98 finally bit the dust. I am comfortable with that. Why is it that every new OS M$ comes out with changes most of the way things work. If they are trying to make it more "intuitive" they are on the wrong track! There is nothing intuitive about M$ OSs and we simply have to get used to the way it works.

If M$ made cars, every time you bought a new car, you would have to learn to drive all over again!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for evrything, rawmeat....

The problem has been solved. Although, I didn't go thru the tough way of booting my machine with win 98 disk etc., I managed to remember the operation (which the OS thought was being done, but had not understood or hand hung when it was actually done...)....I repeated the operation, trying to transfer the file again to the destination directory, and WIN XP asked me if I should replace existing file in the destination directory, to which I said yes. And to my surprise, the file transfer started....and finished without problems.....Obviously, there was a reference of some sort in the registry (as I think, I may be wrong, it may be something else completely) to it, holding the file open, for the transfer still, thinking the tansfer would be completed some time although it already had, and then hung.
I managed to burn a CD of the file from the destination directory and delete it as well as delete the source file.

Which gave me an idea to try out the same idea with mp3s I could not delete either. They were wav files I was trying to compress in to MP3s, and that task was undone because of some missing .dll files in the mp3 software that I had launched a couple of months ago. The wav files were still being kept open by the OS thinking they would be compressed....so I repeated the procedure with a healthy, perfect, mp3 software, and voila! I was able to delete the mp3s also......

Thanks for your help and also, of course, Dan-O who tried to help me. :)

Cheers,
Coolstone

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.