Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I do this? Just found this Gateway in the trash. Windows 2000 OS is installed. It shows: User Name: Administrator. I don't know the password. It is a Pentium 4.

Thanks;
Mike:confused:

· Registered
52,785 Posts
LOL. Yes, that page can be a bit daunting. I guess I didn't realize how much detail thay went into.

Let's try the simplest method first. Download this zip file:

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bd050303.zip

Unzip it. Put a clean, formatted floppy in the drive. Run the program inside the zip (install.bat) to create a boot floppy. Put the floppy in the 2000 machine and boot. Follow the prompts (hitting <Enter> to accept the defaults which are usually what you want, but read first, anyway). Reset the Admin password, remove the floppy, and boot. The password should now be blank.

· Registered
52,785 Posts
Bob Cerelli said:
Go to the bottom of the screen and click on the "Bootdisk: Instructions & image to download. Last update: 060406"

Make either a boot floppy or bootable CD.

Boot with it and take all the defaults. It will let you set the admin password to be blank.
Mr. Cerelli,
If the prohibitions on your posting privileges have been lifted, please provide documentation to that effect. Otherwise, please adhere to them.

· Administrator
124,721 Posts
First Name -
Karen
Bob Cerelli said:
Huh?

Was just responding to the post with some more information since "I'm a novice . I went to the site, but don't know what to do. Please walk me through this.
Mike"

Hopefully there is nothing wrong with giving more information.
Bob, you know exactly what Elvandil is referring to and this is not the place to discuss it but if it must be spelled out to you again send me a private message and I'd be happy to oblige.

· Registered
52,785 Posts
If you are running XP, just right-click and extract. If not, try Free Zipstar Archiver (handles zip, cab, rar, ace, 7z, and sqx). It can open nearly all archives and can create some, like .rar, that are usually not included since they are licensed formats. The old version doesn't work on Vista, but the latest does so no need to change if you upgrade.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Apparently, the password can be reset by relocating the bios jumper in a Gateway E4600 ES, which is the machine I'm working on. I haven't tried this yet, but will post results. This information can be located at: webjunction.org/do/DisplayContent?id=7218

Thanks,
Mike

· Super Moderator
46,886 Posts
manhattanman said:
Apparently, the password can be reset by relocating the bios jumper in a Gateway E4600 ES, which is the machine I'm working on. I haven't tried this yet, but will post results. This information can be located at: webjunction.org/do/DisplayContent?id=7218

Thanks,
Mike
The only password you can reset with a clear jumper is the bios password not a windows password. When exactly in the boot process are you getting the password prompt?

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll keep working on it. I'm using obsolete computers to access this information (Windows 98/Pentium 2's). I find these in the trash. They work only marginally. I did download the Zipstar files and will try to download this floppy. Will post results.

Thanks,
Mike

· Retired Trusted Advisor
9,247 Posts
manhattanman said:
How do I do this? Just found this Gateway in the trash. Windows 2000 OS is installed. It shows: User Name: Administrator. I don't know the password. It is a Pentium 4.

Thanks;
Mike:confused:
Many times the password is blank so try that. If that doesn't work, what if you shell out $140 for a new copy of XP Pro OEM and reinstall Windows? It comes with a CD, install key, instructions, everything you need. Seems like a bargain since the computer was free.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just out of curiosity, frank4d, will I be able to use this XP software on multiple computers? This same question applies to any other Windows operating systems. Also, this particular Gateway hard drive is only 20 gb, 128 mb memory. Is there a problem installing advanced software on this?

Mike

· Registered
52,785 Posts
manhattanman said:
Hi elvindal;
I've downloaded your suggested zip file and copied it to a floppy. Can you please walk me through the process of resetting the password?
Hopefully, you didn't do what you said you did literally. The file must be extracted from the zip and then install.bat run on your PC with a clean formatted floppy in the drive. That will create the bootable floppy.

Put the floppy in and reboot. If the machine doesn't boot from the floppy, you'll need to go into BIOS settings and set the boot priority of the floppy higher (before the hard drive).

Boot from the floppy and choose the defaults by pressing <Enter> when a prompt appears. The defaults are all that are needed in most cases.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Elvandil:

The file doesn't copy onto my floppy. This is a 1.44 MB floppy. When the copy starts, it just stops without showing it transfering to the floppy. Same happens w/install bat. When inserting into desired Gateway computer, it says "Invalid System Disk".

What's the solution?

· Registered
52,785 Posts
OK. So you open the zip file and then double-click install.bat with a blank, formatted floppy in the A: drive? Is your floppy A:?

Does the floppy drive show any activity (like a light or spinning sound)?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.