Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I adding memory to my computer but when I tried to boot it up it was running but no visual. I checked the monitor connection and took out the new memory and rebooted, again nothing. I was told to reset the CMOS b/c the memory was incompatible, but I don't know where the jumper is on my motherboard. It is a generic board with a serial number on it, does that help?

I made sure that the memory is seated FULLY in the slot and it sounds like the computer is booting up but then nothing happens.
I also pulled out all the memory and reseated the old memory and nothing.

I have reseated all the cards and checked all the connections but thanks.

·
Registered
526 Posts
you probably nudged the graphic's card, take it out..and put it in firmly..do the same with the memory stick..you should check the type of the motherboard..probably that motherboard is not capable of running that mem speed..if so..see if you can find an upgrade from the maker's website..goodluck

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
All the ram should be identical. (i.e. either ecc or non-ecc, same speed, ect.)

The clear Cmos jumper is usually labeled as JP1 or maybe JP2 and is right next to the cmos battery. Next to the label JP(X) it will say something like: Pins 1-2 = Normal. Pins 3-4 = Clr CMOS. I don't know if it will make your ram compatible if it is uncompatible but sometimes you do need to clear it to get your bios to recognize ram.

Did you say you found the serial number or the fcc ID? Look for the fcc ID and you can find the manufacture of your mobo HERE Then you can go to their website and find out what ram you need.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.