Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,469 Posts

·
Registered
20,583 Posts
Sata hard drives are not specific to Vista - they are a hardware device onto which any OS can be partitioned for and loaded - i.e. the Linux kernel now has NTFS file system read-write capable drivers.

-- Tom

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
um, yes i want to install linux, but i dont know what it having ntfs read write means in relation to the sata drivers, all i know is when i tried to install XP instead of vista i had to revert back to vista cuz XP doesnt support the sata hard drive in vista and the only other way to get XP up was to partition the hard drive and install the drivers where needed or slipstream a cd which seemed to be a pain to figure as far as doing it with windows goes... well anyway i just want to makesure i can run linux with this hard drive and not run into the same issue as last time

·
Registered
446 Posts
It's quite likely that most current distros have drivers for your SATA controller. This has nothing to do with Vista though. You would be best to ask this question in a forum dedicated to whichever Linux distro you want to install. If you don't have any Linux experience Ubuntu is a good place to start.

http://www.ubuntu.com/support/community/webforums

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
19,786 Posts
WHen you install XP, there is nice message that says " Press F6 if you need to install 3rd party SCSI or Raid Drivers" That is where you would install your SATA drivers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.