Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Windows 98 computer, and the explorer.exe file got corrupted. All I really need is a replacement for that file, and I can do everything else on my own. Can I replace it easily, or do I have to rebuy windows? I never had an install disc, all I have is the computer.

·
Banned
5,251 Posts
You do have to replace a corrupt explorer file with a fresh copy and even though you don't have any installation disc its just possible you have the files on your computer stored in cabinet folders, possibly at C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS. If they're not there try a search for cab files, its worth a shot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All of my CAB files got corrupted too, and my computer some how deleted them in my previous attempts to restore it. I also don't have a floppy disk on hand, but will Microsoft's solution even work if there are no cab files?

·
Banned
5,251 Posts
No you have to have the cab files-those are essentially the install disc copied over to the hard drive.

If you want to try and stick with 98 you can try Ebay and there's also a place I can't tell you about here (think of an overwhelming wash of water coming at you and put a name to it) where you could get a copy and replace the files you need.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.