Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I'm not in the correct sub-forum then perhaps someone can point me in the right direction.
This problem is a wee bit difficult to explain but I'll try.
I have a folder called 'Aircraft Photos' and at the moment there are 846 photos in this folder.
After downloading the latest photo, opening the folder and clicking on 'View' then 'Arrange Icons - By Name' I noticed that many of the Images had 'swapped' names.
Now when I try to 'Rename' the images back to their original name it seems to have a knock-on effect. Renaming the file (to original name) will change the name of another file/image elsewhere in the folder. So I'm just running around in circles.
I tried 'restart' but to no avail. Just before the restart I noticed a message that said something about a problem with an 'add-on' (maybe Photobucket) but I couldn't read it all before the restart begun. There was also an 'error report' to send.
Please help.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Are we talking about 'Thumbnails', or the actual opened images themselves?

If Thumbnails, in Windows Explorer, go to Tools, Folder Options, View.
Select 'Show Hidden Files'. Uncheck, 'Hide extensions for known file types'. Uncheck, 'Hide protected operating system files'.

Now, in your 'Aircraft Photos' folder, delete the file, 'Thumbs.db'.

You should actually have your photos organized into folders. 846 is a lot of thumbnails to load.

moper

·
Banned
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All my photos are indeed organized into folders depending on category. There just happens to be 846 photos of aircraft in my 'Aircraft' folder. I'm not quite sure what you mean by '846 is a lot of thumbnails to load' !? Load to where ?
The problem is just with the thumbnails.
When I look at a file with the name/title e.g. Supermarine Spitfire, the thumbnail will be of a different aircraft when of course it should be the Spitfire. But when I actually open the file to view the larger image, it will be the Spitfire. So only the thumbnail is wrong.
I must point out that only about 2 dozen or so photos are affected by this, not all 846.
But since my original post I've been working on it.
Can you tell me if I've done the right thing, albeit the hard way.
I deleted all the affected files/photos then went to my Photobucket Album and downloaded the photos/images from there. All the photos had been uploaded to there months previous.
However, on 4 or 5 occasions there was a strange outcome.
After downloading and saving the image/photo to my 'Aircraft' folder I had a look to make sure everything was OK but all I saw was, instead of an image of an aircraft there was just a tiny black dot. I tried downloading the same photo again but same result, tiny black dot instead of aircraft image. What is all that about ?
Anyway, with regards to your solution. I got as far as 'Hide Protected Operating System Files' and then a warning message came up which said 'You have chosen to display protected operating system files (files labled system and hidden) in Windows Explorer. These files are required to start and run Windows. Deleting or editing them can make your computer inoperable'. So after seeing that you can imagine why I didn't want to go any further.
So, what now ?

·
Registered
52,785 Posts
Is there some sort of photo management software running that is trying to "help" you organize the images? Look in Task Manager and see if anything is running in the background. If it is, you may need to open that program and make changes in its settings, or at least terminate it until you finish what you are doing.

This is all reminiscent of what people see when they have WMP set to automatically sort and rename multimedia files and they don't realize they have those settings in place.

OpenedFilesView will show you all files and folders being accessed by anything on your machine. It will show you if a program is accessing that folder or its contents.

·
Deceased Moderator Gone but never forgotten
82,272 Posts
I'm not quite sure what you mean by '846 is a lot of thumbnails to load' !? Load to where ?
Load into Windows Explorer.

... I tried downloading the same photo again but same result, tiny black dot instead of aircraft image. What is all that about ?
My guess would be that you didn't wait long enough for Windows Explorer to load all the thumbnails. As moper said, "846 is a lot of thumbnails to load." :)

·
Banned
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, but you're talking to me as if I know about computers. I know very little. I wouldn't know where to find or look for 'Task Manager' and wouldn't know if a program was running in the background even if I saw it. And even if I saw it I wouldn't know how or what to change the settings to.
How come this problem occured out of the blue ?

·
Registered
52,785 Posts
Open the Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) and look for any of your imaging programs running. If you see any, right-click and terminate. Then try renaming again.

·
Banned
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As I stated in a previous post, the problem is no longer 'renaming' the files. I've already done all that. But still, when I download and save certain files from my Photobucket Album (to replace the affected/deleted ones) to my 'Aircraft' folder all I'm seeing is this tiny black dot. The dimensions of the image are 0x0 when it should be, for example, 1600x1078.
Please don't give up on me. I've just never quite got the hang of computers.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Create a new folder, anywhere. The Desktop will do. Right click on the Desktop, choose New, Folder. Type any name you like. Download the files you want to the new folder. See if that works.

That warning message that you got is normal. You can always change it back

Don't rename files only based on the thumbnail image. They can be wrong, especially with a lot of pics. Open the file to verify, right click and choose 'Refresh Thumbnail', or delete the Thumbs.db file to start with a clean slate.

moper

·
Banned
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tried your 'New Folder' suggestion. Didn't work. However, I did notice that the offending image (the one that gives me a tiny black dot instead of the actual image) when opened with Quick Time Viewer or Nero Photosnap Viewer there is no problem.
The only time I get a problem is when I open the file with Windows Picture & Fax Viewer.
I opened the file with Windows but did not see 'Refresh Thumbnail' anywhere. So I could not try that. I will now try your other method.
Correction, found 'Refresh Thumbnail', tried that, didn't work.

·
Banned
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are we talking about 'Thumbnails', or the actual opened images themselves?

If Thumbnails, in Windows Explorer, go to Tools, Folder Options, View.
Select 'Show Hidden Files'. Uncheck, 'Hide extensions for known file types'. Uncheck, 'Hide protected operating system files'.

Now, in your 'Aircraft Photos' folder, delete the file, 'Thumbs.db'.

You should actually have your photos organized into folders. 846 is a lot of thumbnails to load.

moper
Right. This time I got as far as delete 'Thumbs.db'. Couldn't find or see 'Thumbs.db' anywhere. Where is it ?

·
Banned
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, found 'Thumbs.db' and deleted it. Downloaded and saved one of the photos/files from my Photobucket Album that have the 'black dot' problem. Opened the file to view and what I got was the same tiny black dot. So what now ?
In 'My Documents' there was another file with the name 'desktop.ini' that appeared along with 'thumbs.db'.
I hope all of this can be put back to the way it was before I began deleting things.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
The Desktop.ini. Leave it be. Normal.

"Refresh Thumbnail" or deleting Thumbs.db. All it does is insure the right thumbnail is associated with the right picture, so you don't rename or delete the wrong picture by mistake.

The download problem. What is the file extension? The last 3 letters after the dot. Right click the 'black dot' file and choose 'Properties'. What does it say for type of file?

I'm quessing that it is a quick time video file. In which case, this would be normal.
Or, you may not be downloading the actual image. Be aware that some sites may alter your images to meet their specifications.

Do you have a free account or a pay account?
The way to download with a pay account is described here:http://forums.photobucket.com/showthread.php?t=23435

With a free account, I found this information:
you will need maximize each image one at a time and then save them. Make sure that you open the image to the full size view or you will not be saving the full size image
moper

moper

·
Banned
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, both images I downloaded from my Photobucket Album which I know show only black dots once downloaded and viewed (and which I've replaced from the Internet to my 'Aircraft' folder) are Jpeg images. I even deleted the images from my photobucket album and replaced the images with new and identical ones from the Internet (where I had found these images from originally) and then downloaded these images to my folder to see if that fixed the problem. It didn't. Black dot was still there - image size 0X0.
Maybe the problem is with Photobucket. I know they had an issue with bitmap images recently. I'm still convinced the problem is with Windows Picture & Fax Viewer since the offending images (not video) are not a problem for Quick Time or Nero.
What now ?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Can you upload one of the problem images to this site?

In your reply window, scroll down and select 'Manage Attachments".
Click 'Browse'. Find your file and click 'Upload'. Wait a few seconds until you see the name appear. Close the window.

moper

·
Banned
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Strange, now 1 of the files that I downloaded from the internet recently, I didn't have a problem with until now. I should point out that the picture of the Eurofighter Typhoon is an example of a pic without problems.
Scratch the part about not having a problem with 1 of the pics until now. I just didn't see it at first. It's OK. When I click on the attachments, the pics seem OK. So the problem must be with Photobucket or Windows Picture & Fax Viewer. Am I right ?

Attachments

·
Banned
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here's another example. I've just downloaded this one from my Photobucket Album and saved it to my 'Aircraft' Folder. When I opened the file to view the photo it was a 'black dot' instead of the image you see on the attachment.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
OK. I checked out the picture in Post #19. It seems to use some unknown commpression signature. It is not in Exif format and has no embedded thumbnail. I,also, get no thumbnail, and Picture and Fax Viewer cannot open it.

My suggestion. Use Irfanview, as your default image viewer. It is small and just as fast as Picture and Fax Viewer. Also has many more options, and opens your aircraft pic, no problem.
You should also download and install the 'Plugins'. During setup, it will ask which type of files you want associated with Irfanview. Just choose 'JPG's', or 'All Images'. You can always change it later if you don't like it, but I think you will.

moper

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.