Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I just installed a SATA hard drive in my new motherboard, but in windows xp I get the "safely remove hardware" icon on the system tray, which refers to my hard drive.

Is there a way to tell windows that I'm not going to remove the hard drive so I don't have to see the icon?

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Right click on the task bar and go to properties. Make sure you are on the Taskbar tab, then put a check in Hide Inactive Icons, and click on Customize. Scroll down until you see "Safely Remove Hardware" and click to the right of it (should say "Hide When Inactive"). Change this to say "Hide Always" and then click OK twice to save the settings.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I dont think thats what he wants. SATA drives shouldn't be having that tag. I have two SATA drives and none of them display that. This is plugged into the motherboard, right?

·
Registered
1 Posts
same problem here.
I have:
- serial ata seagate 160G drive.
- asus k8n motherboard.

anyone knows how I get rid of the safely remove icon ? regedit maybe?
the solution to always hide the icon on the taskbar is not that good for me ...

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
You don't want to hide the Disconnect Icon always, since then it won't be available when you do plug in a device you want to use it for. I agree with the other posters, something is wrong with the specification of the SATA drive, none of mine show up as removable.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
JohnWill said:
You don't want to hide the Disconnect Icon always, since then it won't be available when you do plug in a device you want to use it for. I agree with the other posters, something is wrong with the specification of the SATA drive, none of mine show up as removable.
Me too ,mine either.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I actually install the drive using the disk wizard.

The funny thing is I just build a new system for a friend of mine, that has a msi motherboeard and a western digital drive, (mine is asus a8n sli with a seagate hard drive) and it has the same problem!

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Wait, I believe the problem is with the NForce chipset's hotswap feature for SATA drives... Let's have everyone list thier chipsets and we shall see. (intel doesn't support hotswap)

Intel 915g

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Jackiefrost9 said:
Wait, I believe the problem is with the NForce chipset's hotswap feature for SATA drives... Let's have everyone list thier chipsets and we shall see. (intel doesn't support hotswap)

Intel 915g
865 PE neo2

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
I'm fairly certain it's just because of the hotswap feature in nVidia chipset boards. Windows recognizes the drives as removable because the chipset allows them to be changed whenever you want.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have windows xp pro sp1

asus a8n sli
msi k8 neo4

Yes it is the NForce chipset's hotswap feature for SATA drives, but is there a way to tell windows I'm not going to hotswap it, so I don't have to see the icon? or so that someone that dosen't know its my HD, mistakes it for a jump drive and removes it?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.