Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Trusted Advisor
85,515 Posts
Alex:

Is there a particular reason why you want to remove 7.0 and revert back to 6.0 SP2?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't installed IE7 on any of my systems. I'm getting calls from customers who want it removed. They have their reasons, most of which have to do with IE7 breaking web pages, jumbled formatting of web pages, totally blank web pages and failing to display many images.

So far, I have suggested Firefox, a safer browser than any version of IE.

I was told the following solution didn't exist; but, this is from microsoft.com.

To uninstall Internet Explorer 7 to return to Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
1. Click "Start," and then click "Control Panel."
2. Click "Add or Remove Programs."
3. Check "Show Updates" at the top of the dialog box.
4. Scroll down the list and highlight the version of Internet Explorer 7 that you are running, and then click "Change/Remove." (If you are running Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview — March 20 or later, it is not necessary to check "Show Updates.")

There is also a tool available from Microsoft that blocks the installation of IE7.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I haven't run into any of those issues with IE7 but I have had clients who took the update and called as they were lost. Nothing major to require a roll back to IE6, just some reading and adjusments to show where things have been moved in 7. Once those people saw and figured it out, they kept 7 and I haven't heard from them. I figure You can't fix stupied. BTW, going to Firefox is like jumping from one leaking boat to another. It really isn't any better.

·
Trusted Advisor
85,515 Posts
I've upgraded to Windows Internet Explorer 7.0 in all 3 of my computers and haven't had a bit of trouble with it. It just takes a little time to get used to the new interface and new settings. If you take the time to browse around, you can configure it to your liking. :up:

Personally, I don't like Mozilla Firefox. :down:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
166 Posts
how do you configure IE7 to my liking....the only issue ive had so far..that i can see is after logging off of a website..i got a Interent explorer window that keeps on saying... Interent Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. It does this everytime i log off of this 1 site...should i click on send error report..or click on dont send...or just click the red x

·
Registered
166 Posts
after i log off...ive been clicking the red x on the top of the window page...than the message appears...

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
You must have a plugin or an activeX control or somethingg wrong with your IE7. Of course it could be a poorly written website that is crashing your IE. What site? It really doesn't matter if you send a report or not. It is your preference. Reprots help MS try and pinpoint problems in software.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Emtronics said:
You must have a plugin or an activeX control or somethingg wrong with your IE7. Of course it could be a poorly written website that is crashing your IE. What site? It really doesn't matter if you send a report or not. It is your preference. Reprots help MS try and pinpoint problems in software.
the site is: Jmeeting.com

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm sure there are those who don't have a problem with IE7; but, my concern is for those who do and from whom I make my living and who want it off their machine.

Again, one can always better his security by using anything but IE and that hasn't changed.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Alex Ethridge said:
I'm sure there are those who don't have a problem with IE7; but, my concern is for those who do and from whom I make my living and who want it off their machine.

Again, one can always better his security by using anything but IE and that hasn't changed.
Sorry but I disagree with this comment., IE is just as secure as any other browser on the web. It has the most attempts against it due to the fact it is more widely used then any other. When it comes to browsers it should be the features it has and the enjoyment of using it. They all are venerable to attacks thus no one is more secure then the other.

Far as your problem with your customers. As mentioned above start, control panel, add remove ,

I would be more concern on why it is doing what they say it is. Perhaps they have another issue at hand. virus , malware, ext... not all viruses spyware showup on scans.
Perhaps they did not follow the recommended install procedures, like removing toolbars, scanning for spyware, remove cookies ext..

Ad-Aware SE Personal
I run this daily

SpywareBlaster 3.5.1
I update once a week (keeps bad pages with known malware that cold cause damage from being displayed.)

Spybot - Search & Destroy
Daily or every other day

CwShredder
This is one I only use once a week or month lol but good to have

AVG Anti-Spyware
In order to get full use of this one you have to buy it but has a free trial. Good program to have and run before you run Hijackthis. (just another tool to remove spyware that the other two may miss) Only download if you are having a serious issue unless you want to pay and have it.

Download and update (update is very important before you scan) boot into safe mode (You do not need to boot into safe mode every time to run programs. Some malware cannot be fully removed or detected unless you are in Safemode, This is why I recommend running it the first time in safe mode then perhaps once a month in safe mode)

With some computers if you press and hold a key as the computer is booting you will get a stuck key message. If this occurs, instead of pressing and holding the "F8 key", tap the "F8 key" continuously until you get the startup menu.

Scan the computer,

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If everyone would just be reasonable and agree with me, everything would be okay. I just don't understand why everyone wants to have their own opinions when mine are so much better.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
From http://slashdot.org 01/04/2007

Brian Krebs has totaled up the vulnerability days for IE6 users in 2006.

From the article:
"For a total 284 days in 2006 (or more than nine months out of the year), exploit code for known, unpatched critical flaws in pre-IE7 versions of the browser was publicly available on the Internet. Likewise, there were at least 98 days last year in which no software fixes from Microsoft were available to fix IE flaws that criminals were actively using to steal personal and financial data from users...

In contrast, Internet Explorer's closest competitor in terms of market share — Mozilla's Firefox browser — experienced a single period lasting just nine days last year in which exploit code for a serious security hole was posted online before Mozilla shipped a patch to remedy the problem."

Here's a link to the Washingtom Post article.

With this dismal record, I don't think I'm ready to jump on the IE7 bandwagon just because it's pretty.

·
Registered
22,466 Posts
In the beginning I had the beta versions downloaded on 5 pc's without issue. Then the full version but I just had a laptop and a desktop built since then have all kinds of issues and did uninstall IE 7 so there obviuosly are some problems.

·
Registered
82 Posts
IE7 will not allow my HP2610 Ptr/fax/copier to work properly. I have Uninstalled IE7 and bingo, my HP prnt works again. I want to reinstall IE6 but when I run the setup program, it stops and says I have a newer version and will not let me install it. Any ideas out there? Don't tell me to get new HP drivers as I am already up to date in that area...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Surely the easiest way to revert back to IE6 from IE7 is to use system restore and restore back to when the update was installed then make sure that auto update is switched off so that it wont automatically re download and re-install the update when you next connect to the net.

Or am I missing something?

JJ

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.