Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my friends house, his vista was customized, he said he downloaded a 'theme'. So I searched on google how to install vista themes, and I got this:

"1. Login as a user with Administrative privileges -or- have Administrative credentials ready (check under the keyboard for a slip of paper).
2. Navigate to %systemroot%\System32
3. Right-click uxtheme.dll and click properties.
4. Take ownership of the file and close dialogs.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for themeui.dll and shsvcs.dll
6. Right-click uxtheme.dll and click properties.
7. Give yourself (or group) Full Control permissions and close dialogs.
8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 for themeui.dll and shsvcs.dll.
9. Rename uxtheme.dll to uxtheme.old.
10. Rename themeui.dll to themeui.old.
11. Rename shsvcs.dll to shsvcs.old.
12. Copy patched files into %systemroot%\System32
13. Reboot (yes, this is really required)"

Everything was working fine until I rebooted. When I tried logging back in, it said the file "themeui.dll" not be found, windows is searching for a problem. When I hit ctrl+alt+delete, it takes me to the general vista screen, where I can change password, switch user, task manager etc...

All I can see is my desktop image, no icons, no start button, nothing. I right click my mouse, nothing happens. Please help, this computer was a gift, I just wanted to try out some different themes for fun.

Thanks

·
Trusted Advisor
17,571 Posts
Are you BOOTING to the CD or just waiting for the auto run to kick in?

·
Registered
45,855 Posts
I am uploading a copy of mine.

Download it and unzip it.

Copy the dll to a CD.

Put the CD in drive and when booting press F8 and select the "repair" option and then the command prompt.

At the prompt enter:

copy X:\themeui.dll c:\windows\system32

Substitute your CD drive letter for "X"

If the copy is successful you should be able to reboot normally.

You may also try snagging this and putting it the system32 directory from the Task Manager. It has a File/Run and Browse menu much like Explorer. You may be able to copy and paste using it.

Still another option is to use the Task Manager to run: rstrui.exe

System Restore should open.

System Restore is also available on the "Repair" boot menu. (to reach this tap F8 repeatedly early in the boot process)

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK thank you, Im copying it to a CD right now, I also noticed it said 'Windows Explorer is not functioning correctly' earlier. Thats probably becuase of the file right?

by the way, Task Manager wont work. I get an error saying I should reinstall the application

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no no, Ive got it worked out. I got to command prompt, entered the code thing but it for another dll, uxtheme. I asked for the wrong dll. So I downloaded Uxtheme from a site, put it on a cd, replaced themeui.dll with uxtheme.dll, now it says 1 File copied under command prompt. I presume I should reboot and see what happens from there?

EDIT: I rebooted, now it says "The procedure entry point DrawThemeTextEx could not be located in the dynamic library uxtheme.dll

·
Registered
25 Posts
Listen, if you have a Vista install disc, you need to tell your pc/laptop to use the disc/optical drive as a boot device.

1) Hit F2/delete/other key to open your BIOS settings when first turn your pc on
2) set your optical drive to the primary boot device (usually under BOOT SETTINGS)
3) save changes and restart computer

This WILL NOT affect anything except the boot process may take naother 10-15 seconds if there's no disc in the optical drive (your computer just scans for a boot record and then moves to the hard drive as normal).
You'll have the prompt telling you to 'Press any key to boot from CD/DVD...' You may now install Vista (perhaps try running the reinstall/repair from within the setup screens).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.