Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two computers in my house. A gateway and a dell. I'll be going to school in a few days and im taking the gateway with me, so i'd like to be able to connect to the dell which is at home from my gateway at school.

i have a verizon dsl connection at home and a belkin router connected to the modem. i noticed that each of the computers in my house have the same external ip. so when i went to the remote desktop screen to test it out and set it up before i leave, it wouldn't work.

could anyone help me set these computers up so i can connect to the dell from the gateway while at school, over the internet?

Dell- vista home
Gateway- windows 7

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate can host Remote Desktop; Home Basic and Home Premium cannot. Consider something like UltraVNC instead.

With something like the free Dynamic DNS service you can access your home network w/o having to call somebody to get the public IP address (yes, I know it seldom changes, but it can).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually have ultra vnc on my gateway already, ill put it on my dell now.

I've tried setting one of these up before for my dad at his work, but fell short again on the whole ip address thing. could you point me to a guide that'll walk me through it clearly or could you help me? thanks

Edit: i also have a windows xp pro desktop that i could use instead, will that remote desktop work from a windows 7 computer?

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
If you could and were going to use Remote Desktop on the Dell you would assign it a static IP address (e.g., 192.168.2.200) that is in the same subnet used by your Belkin router but outside its Dhcp server's address range.

Then, on the router, you would port forward port 3389 to port 3389 of the Dell's IP addr. On my two Belkin routers that's done in the "Virtual Servers" section.

You may have to do something similar for UltraVNC--I have not used it nor read their tutorial information. There are very knowledgeable folks in this forum who can help you if you get into any difficulties.

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
... on my desktop upstairs i went to remote desktop and typed in my networks external ip. but it wouldn't connect...
Some routers will let you do that, others won't. You'll probably have to test from a computer that is getting internet access not through your router.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.