Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read the instructions on how to use remote desktop from
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getstarted/remoteintro.mspx
but i belive thoughs directions are for remotely connecting from the same network. What I need to do is to connect with a computer in a diffrent city.

What makes me belive it is directions for connecting within a network is that you type in your computer's name to connect to it. Just think how many people have the same computer name. Mine is the default HOME-COMPUTER.

Here is my interpretation of what the microsoft site told me:

How to play Diablo 2 at college

At home go to
controll pallel->preformance and matainence->system->computer name
and write down the computer name then go to
controll pallel->preformance and matainence->system->Remote
and make sure both boxes are checked then push apply. Then go to
controll pannel->security center->windows firewall->exceptions
and make sure remote desktop is checked then press apply.
Leave your PC on before you go to school and bring your computer's name that you wrote.

At school go to
start->programs->accesories->communication->remote desktop connection
and type in your home computer's name that you wrote down.
Press ok and enter the password and user name you use to log into your computer at home. Now you should see your desktop. Click on the Diablo 2 icon and start playing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

But to do this when not on the same network something must not be right in these directions. What must be done diffrently or in addition?

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
If your home computer is connected directly to a modem note its IP address (Control Panel - Network Connections - click on your connection and see the IP address in the bottom of the left pane. At school use that IP address instead of the Computer name.

If you are using a router you have to note the router's WAN IP address and use that. Also, before leaving home you have to forward the proper port(s) to the computer to which you want to connect.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I am using a router so I went to http://www.mywanip.com/ to get my WAN IP.
The only part I have no clue about is the port forwarding. How do I do that? I have one ethernet adapter which I use to connect to the internet but I don't know how to find the port number or what to do with it.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Howdy folks...

Cyon...

I don't know which router you have but you log into the router, locate where you do port forwarding. Enable port forwarding for port 3389 ( if it isn't being blocked by your ISP ), there should be a place to enter the IP of the pc you want to forward to enter the ip of that pc, and you should be set...

BTW I don't think you will be happy playing games on your home pc this way , it's going to be pretty slow...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I logged in to my router (linksys wrt54g) and went to the port forwarding list as show at
http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/WRT54G/default.htm
I put in a range of 3389 to 3389 but for the IP address the 192.168.1. part is unchangeable and I can only add up to 3 more numbers after it so i added a 1 (because that makes it my router's IP. I went to college and tryed to connect but it didn't work and found my school's IP doesn't start with a 192.168.1. so I can't enter my school's IP address into my router's port forwarding page.

Also at home I found something. In my windows firewall advanced settings there is a checklist and one of them says Remote Desktop. When you click on the it has a place to put in "ip address...of the computer hosting this service on your network." so i checked everything and put in my home's IP address for everything since nothing was there to begin with. Here is a picture of what i'm talking about:
http://www.stanford.edu/services/ess/pc/docs/icf_config/images/icf_05.gif

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
No...

On the pc open a command prompt ( start - run type in cmd - at the prompt type in ipconfig, and put those last three numbers from your ip addressin the router...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.