Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all

I recently bought a UMPC second hand in Japan, a Kohjinsha SA1F00B, with windows XP home service pack 2 in Japanese.
the computer has a 500mhz AMD Geode processor and 512 MB of RAM.

(http://www.biztoolbelt.com/2006/12/kohjinsha_sa1f00_umpc.html)

I installed a linux distribution on it (xubuntu), which is fine, but in the event it seems to have caused problems with the windows XP boot, for a reason unknown. Now the windows XP partition (NTFS) are still there, but when I try to boot i get to the windows logo and loading bar, but then it hops back to the khojinsha logo.

odd. I was thinking that I would simply reinstall windows XP from the CD.
yet, lo and behold, there is no CD included ! I have a valid microsoft licence, the green booklet and everything but no CD in the pack.
from previous experience with my wife's japanese sony VAIO, I think this might be common on japanese PC's, where they prefer to use recovery partitions. now I do have windows CD's from previous computers, but they're not in japanese and i know this is very problematic for japanese machine specific driver issues.

but my question is, how do I reinstall windows in this case ?
I'm thinking there must be some kind of recovery partition somewhere, like there was on the sony vaio, but how do I access it, and reinstall windows over the previous existing windows install, from it.

or is there anyway to fix the windows XP boot ?

thanks in advance for your help

ben

·
Banned
24,388 Posts
There probably aren't too many people here with experience specific to Japanese computers, but the principles are probably the same. There may be a recovery partition. The instructions that came with the computer should tell you how to access it. The standard advice may or may not apply if you have a Japanese computer. I wouldn't know what keys to tell you to press to bring up the recovery partition.

If you don't have one or wiped it out when you installed Linux, your only option is to contact the retailer and get a disk if that's provided for under Japanese law and policies. Regional Windows installations are considered different versions, so you can't use an English Windows CD with a Japanese Windows key.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.