Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How's everyone doing?

My operating system is xp home edition and I unwittingly deleted my remote desktop program. It was only used to access a computer that ran on xp pro, so there wasn't a problem using it, and I don't need anything else fancy, just my old RtD.

Unfortunately, I don't know how exactly to reinstall it. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, thanks for the time.

Unfortunately, it's not that simple. The .exe downloads fine, but it doesn't install. Instead I recieve an error message stating "Remote Desktop Connection cannot be installed because your operating system already has a built-in version. See All Programs/Accessories/Communications/Remote Desktop Connections on your start menu."

Worse still, that isn't the case. Remote Desktop isn't in my Communications, or anywhere else on my PC.

It's almost baffling actually. Thanks.

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
What exactly did you delete?

Is the property sheet for My Computer available to enable it?

If all you did was remove some files, try running sfc /scannow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Remote tab in the properties of My Computer doesn't even have the space for Remote Desktop. I remember that it was once there, but as you can see below it's vanished, completely blank.

I recall having a Remote Desktop icon on my desktop. However, I thought it was a shortcut and unwittingly deleted it not realizing it was actually the program itself. At least, that's what I think in retrospect. I can't prove that what I deleted wasn't a shortcut to RtD, but I can't think of anything else I did to effect it at all.

In short, yes, Remote Desktop is gone from my computer in its entirely. I ran scf /scannow just in case, but it didn't help.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Edit: typo

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
I'm not sure what you saw, but here's the same tab from a 100% stock XP-Home installation with nothing deleted, then the same screen from XP-Pro. Look familiar? There isn't any RDT dialog on that tab for XP-Home, and there never has been. Do you have c:\windows\system32\mstsc.exe on your system? That's the RDT client.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did find mstsc.exe in there. It looks like I had it all along.

Seems I assumed it was deleted since I couldn't find it.

Thanks a lot for the help, you guys are the greatest.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Glad we could help.

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the upper right of the screen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.