Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad got a new pc, so he gave me his old one. It's a 5 year old Alienware, which gives you an idea how old my pc I'm replacing was!

Anyway, I ran the system recovery software which came with the pc. That reformatted the HD and reinstalled XP. The motherboard is a NVIDIA NForce 2. The network adapter is NVIDIA nForce MCP networking controller....
There is also:
3com 3c920b-emb intergrated fast ethernet controller v 4.31.0.0
US robotics 56k fax pci
Intel Pro/100 S desktop adapter v 5.41.22.0

Let me know what other info you need. I've tried downloading and installing most recent nvidia and 3com drivers to no avail.

The LAN shows up in my network connections screen, but says network cable is unplugged. The internet connection works fine, I'm typing this from my old computer using the same connection I'm attempting to use with the new pc.... I'm really at a loss here, help please!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Did you set the IPs of the LAN card
You can do that by going propertieas on the LAN and than TCP/IP settings
You should put here da IPs that youre ISP gave you

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the LAN card is supposed to be set to "obtain an IP address automatically", that is how it is set up on my current pc.... is that not correct? (That is how it is currently set on the new pc as well) It is also set to automatically obtain the DNS server address.

obviously neither is working properly...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You show two ethernet adapters. have you tried both and do they both show having proper drivers?
Run, devmgmt.msc to Device Manager...any Yellow "?" under network adapters?
Currently under network adapters, there are 3 icons
1394 Net adapter
1394 Net adapter #2
NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller - right click to properties, device status says this device is working properly. If I go to the advanced tab for this controller's properties, there is a property for Network address but no value. Not sure if that means anything.

No Icon for the 3Com. What are the 1394 adapters?

Anyway, no yellow ? under network adapters.

Just underneath that, under "Other Devices" there are a bunch of yellow question marks.

One for "Ethernet controller" When I look at its properties, it says Manufacturer unknown, Location: PCI slot 3 (PCI bus 2, device 1, function 0) Wehn I click on the Driver tab, everything is basically unknown.

One for Multimedia audio controller
One for PCI input device
One for Video Controller
One for Video Controller (VGA compatible)

Is the Ethernet controller under Other devices the 3Com perhaps? Any idea where I can get the correct driver for that device? I tried a search and downloaded/installed what I THOUGHT was the correct driver, but it obviously was not...

Ask your dad if he has a cd that contains all the chipset drivers. It should include the network driver.
There is a master CD that Alienware provided with the pc which has the drivers. I installed the NVIDIA driver from the master cd, but still am having problems. I've installed every driver I could find on the cd...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.