Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks:

I'm irritated. Really irritated. I had Mandrake (Mandriva) 10.1 running fine for a couple of months, then decided (don't ask) that I needed to reinstall.

Now I have obviously forgotten everything I learned from the original install process.

So... question #1:

What settings or files do I need to look at first to once again be able to get eth0 to work? I can't ping it, although it appears to be receiving and sending a huge amount of packets. I just don't seem to be able to get it to work again.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
What settings or files do I need to look at first to once again be able to get eth0 to work? I can't ping it, although it appears to be receiving and sending a huge amount of packets. I just don't seem to be able to get it to work again.

Any thoughts?
Yes, a few.

(1) When you say you "can't ping it" (referring to eth0), what command are you using?
(2) If eth0 "appears to be receiving and sending a huge amount of packets", that suggests that your hardware and the interface are working properly. How did you decide that eth0 was (a) sending/receiving a large number of packets and (b) was not working?
(3) what sort of reinstall did you perform (e.g., from scratch, "upgrade", etc.)?
(4) have you used the dmesg command to review the boot-time messages (or, possibly, used an editor to look at /var/log/messages)?

Additional info appreciated. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Codejockey:

First, many thanks for your kind assistance.

1. I used "Ping (I.P. Address of eth0)" and it hung
2. a. I used "/sbin/ifconfig -a" and determined that 255.4 mb was received and 546 bytes were sent. There was one error on the rx packets and nine errors on the tx packets.

b. I determined that it was "not working" since I can no longer ping it locally even though the inet addr is the correct i.p. address

3. I did a "from scratch" reinstall

4. Hmmm... no, I wasn't even aware of dmesg. Double hmm... I see now that there are about nine bajillion shorewall: output:reject errors. Today. And in /var/log/messages, which is huge with errors, there's some interesting notations such as "packet send failed to 192....255 ERRNO= operation not permitted". Might that imply that I have the wrong gateway or mask set up, perhaps?

Are we getting closer?

Again, thank you

·
Registered
88 Posts
try "ping 127.0.0.1"

i don't know if this will work for mandrake, but on my gentoo (and redhat) boxes, this will ping locally without having to go through firewalls and such.

for your eth0 config, are you using dhcp? or manually setting it...if there's only one computer it may be worth setting it to dhcp and forgetting about it.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
First, apologies for not responding sooner -- I wasn't ignoring you, I was just a victim of premature (?) senility ...
1. I used "Ping (I.P. Address of eth0)" and it hung
What IP address did you use? If you used 127.0.0.1 (i.e., loopback) and it hung, you may have a hardware problem with your NIC. If you cannot ping yourself (essentially, the machine/NIC talking to itself), then you will never be able to get farther. If you used some other IP address (such as the IP address of your machine on the internet), it's certainly possible that test would fail (hang, report errors, whatever) if your internet connection was not configured correctly or if your ISP was having problems. If you used the local IP address for your machine (i.e., a non-routable address such as 192.168.X.Y) there may be a problem with your network configuration/routing. Additional info appreciated.
2. a. I used "/sbin/ifconfig -a" and determined that 255.4 mb was received and 546 bytes were sent. There was one error on the rx packets and nine errors on the tx packets.

b. I determined that it was "not working" since I can no longer ping it locally even though the inet addr is the correct i.p. address
The ifconfig command is the perfect choice for general network information. If you could post the output, that would be helpful.
4. Hmmm... no, I wasn't even aware of dmesg. Double hmm... I see now that there are about nine bajillion shorewall: output:reject errors. Today. And in /var/log/messages, which is huge with errors, there's some interesting notations such as "packet send failed to 192....255 ERRNO= operation not permitted". Might that imply that I have the wrong gateway or mask set up, perhaps?
The output from the ifconfig command will help to shed some light on what is happening. Also, the "shorewall" reference suggests that you are using this firewall as part of your network configuration -- is this correct? If so, you may need to remove it until you can show that all machines on your LAN can communicate with each other, and all machines can access the internet. Of course you can put the firewall in place later -- but having it out of the way now allows you to verify your network configuration before you get fancy.

Hope this helps. Additional info appreciated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.