Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dell dimension E310 with windows xp, and everytime I start my computer I get a blue screen, that says "c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\SystemRoot\System32\Confg\SAM
or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable" then "beginning dump of physical memory: physical memory dump complete."

My warranty expired so dell won't help me unless I want to pay $50 for a phone call, and I was wondering if there is any way to fix my computer without losing everthing that was on it.

PLEASE HELP!!!

·
Registered
7,889 Posts
Phantom010, did you see this warning in that MS article?

Warning Do not use the procedure that is described in this article if your computer has an OEM-installed operating system. The system hive on OEM installations creates passwords and user accounts that did not exist previously. If you use the procedure that is described in this article, you may not be able to log back into the recovery console to restore the original registry hives

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried what was suggested, and it didn't work. Would getting a new hard drive fix the problem? And is there any significant difference between an internal and an external hard drive?

·
Registered
808 Posts
If you have your original Dell discs you can just do a re-install, so you do not need a new hard drive unless a diagnostic test has shown that it is failing. So put in your OEM Dell CD and boot to that if possible. There is also a tool on the Ultimate boot CD for windows that can use the system restore points, (which include the registry), to fix this issue, and is at this site; http://ubcd4win.com/index.htm

·
Registered
7,889 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.