Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wished that I found this forum before, but I have probably broken all of the rules of common sense already. I got sick and tired of my amazingly slow computer so in desperation I checked out Reg Cure and its"free" scan. Download went fine and they found about 585 "problems". Of course that is where they get you and before they would fix anything you had to register...which meant you had to buy their products on line for $29.95. Against my better judgement I clicked on buy and went for it. Installation went fine and it was easy to use. I did the scan and then proceeded to "fix" everything. The net result was barely noticeable in the performance of my computer. But the real irritating thing is an hour later I get a e-mail stating that I could buy the software for $19.95 instead of the $29.95 that I already paid!
Of course there is no e-mail address on their site to contact them to raise some hell about that or to get a reduction on my charges...or to tell them how little it did to fix my computer either. Just a snail mail address up in Canada. Live an learn the hard way I guess. In the meantime my computer is slowing down more and more. I have done virus checks SPY BOT checks (really slow) scanned files, and defragged the hard drives and tossed temp files and cookies. I have Windows 2000 (updated) as a OS and consider just reloading the OS to try and get everything back in line again. Any more suggestions?
Thanks for any hints.

·
Gone but never forgotten
8,684 Posts
Dogfeathers

Unfortunately you have found out why "we" do not recommend running a Registry Cleaner a solution to any problem.
And, why we always raise red flags, when someone brings up the subject. These programs are really for "experts" only, and they are starting to become "snake oil" progams a la Memory Managers.

In your case, I would recommend that you download, install and run HiJackThis whcih will show all of the things that initiate when you boot up the PC.

Choose Scan System. then Save a Logfile
When the LOG file opens in Notepad, Select All, Copy then return here, and Paste the contents into a Reply Post, and wait for directions.

** I have also asked that your post be moved to it's own thread to make it easier to follow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.