Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had decided it is time to reformat my Maxtor 60gb HD. There is 40.2gb used due to a mobo swap and having to reinstall every program down to the OS (OS wouldnt load up so I tried to repair, and when I tried to open a program I received a DLL error and had to re-install). Now for some reson there are 2 versions of every program including OS on my HD.

So I tried to reformat, in dos I typed reformat c: , answered yes ok to reformat. It started going through the memory check, got to 33% and stopped. It then said I didn't have enough memory to reformat. I have never received an error during a reformat and am at a loss.

Why am I getting this error and how do I fix/bypass it so I can reformat?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Boot with DOS disk - type format c: Press Y & let it run its course..... Press enter for no name or type name and press enter.

Never come across the problem you have described, only thing I can think of is that your PC has minimal mem 16mb or less, or there is a problem with your existing memory.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
what os did you install? If it was winxp then it should have offered to do a full install which formats and partitions the hd in the process. Which would mean installing all your software anyway, but then you would have only one occasion of each on your hd therreby saving disk space.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
I dont know what you did, but if you need to format, you could d/l the disk utility at Maxtor web site, load it on 1.44 floppys and run that way, if your os is win2k or xp then use them to format.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry. Heres step by step what I did.

Inserted boot disk
Rebooted
Selected "Boot with CD rom support"
Boot disk loaded into DOS showing "a:/"
typed "reformat c:"
Typed "Y" at warning
System started the memory check
At 33% it stoped and said I don't have enough memory to reformat

I have Win2k, 1gb ram, M848ALU mobo and Athlon XP 3200 400. I've reformatted 2 other PC's just this year. I have never encountered any errors so I'm lost.

I have never rebooted with an OS...how do you do it?

·
Super Moderator
46,577 Posts
Put your win2k disk in the cd drive. Restart and enter the bios; set the CD drive as the first boot device. Save settings and exit. Watch the screen carefully you will see a message “To boot from cd press any key” this is displayed for only about 5 sec so you need to be ready. After setup loads choose install from the first menu. The next menu shows all of the drives you can install to. Choose each drive and choose to delete the partition. When you are finished your disk should appear as raw or unallocated. Choose to create a partition and format with ntfs; setup will continue to load win2k.

Note there is never a need for any dos boot disk, win9x boot disk or anything like that to install an nt based os. Use the nt tools for partitioning and formatting.

·
Super Moderator
46,577 Posts
BTW this will destroy all data on the disk. If you have anything you need to save, slave the drive to another system and copy what you want.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
deez11010 said:
Sorry. Heres step by step what I did.

Inserted boot disk
Rebooted
Selected "Boot with CD rom support"
Boot disk loaded into DOS showing "a:/"
typed "reformat c:"
Typed "Y" at warning
System started the memory check
At 33% it stoped and said I don't have enough memory to reformat

I have Win2k, 1gb ram, M848ALU mobo and Athlon XP 3200 400. I've reformatted 2 other PC's just this year. I have never encountered any errors so I'm lost.

I have never rebooted with an OS...how do you do it?
With win2k you do not use win98 startup disk, from your post it sounded like you had w98.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
crjdriver said:
Note there is never a need for any dos boot disk, win9x boot disk or anything like that to install an nt based os. Use the nt tools for partitioning and formatting.
Tried this once, ended up having to write zeros to the drive.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Well its painful memory, but win98 boot to load Win2k, needless to say it didnt like it too much.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ok try this:
I am of couse asuming you have Win2k which is newer then 98 so:

with W2k startup disk to a:

a:\fdisk petitions disk........create logical drive or configure pititions how you want them
restart computer...turn power all the way off if it's telling you you ran outta memory.

a:\format c: /s /u /v where s =installs system Win2k files, U=uncondisional, V= verifies

From there you should be able to boot up with start up and run set up from your CD rom

If set up needs Himem, you will need to get it off your start up disk.

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
46,577 Posts
Majixlt said:
Ok try this:
I am of couse asuming you have Win2k which is newer then 98 so:

with W2k startup disk to a:

a:\fdisk petitions disk........create logical drive or configure pititions how you want them
restart computer...turn power all the way off if it's telling you you ran outta memory.

a:\format c: /s /u /v where s =installs system Win2k files, U=uncondisional, V= verifies

From there you should be able to boot up with start up and run set up from your CD rom

If set up needs Himem, you will need to get it off your start up disk.

Good luck
What??

What is a "win2k startup disk? Are you referring to the four boot disks for an install of win2k without a bootable floppy? These disks do not give you an A> They start the setup / install process. If you really want to work from a command line interface, use the recovery console. From the RC you can partition / format and do a lot of other things.

One of the big reasons you do not use a "startup" disk to install nt based os is that file caching is not available on these disks [among other shortcomings in partitioning and formatting]

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah...actually I did use my old win98 boot disk. But thats how I reformatted before while win2k was the OS on the HD. I'll be giving those a try. Lets cross our fingers.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Heh...I figured out what it was. For some reason even booting up with WIN2K did squat. I made the CD rom 1st boot device with WIN2K cd in and all it did was boot to windows. Maybe it just booted too fast because my old screen takes a while to warm up (usually see just after the memory test).

Anyway I figured out what my problem was and fixed it. I'm reformatted now. Took 7 hours of OS install/updates, program install/updates and games install/updates. Blah. But I'm working like a new machine now. Yaay!!

My problem was that my partition was full...I have no clue how I did that...but thats why I couldnt reformat. I had to delete the partition, re-create it and then reformatted.

Thank you all for your help and input.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.