Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy New Year to You All. I have a Dell Latitude XPI laptop. I had to reformat the harddrive. After Fdisking and formatting the C Drive, when I try to install Win98 from an original disk, I get the error message, (corrupt cab file in setup and can not continue). Although I can load the cab files via "The Ultimate Boot Disk", I still get the same message when trying install Windows in the C Directory. Has anyone ever encountered a similar problem and if so, what do you suggest as a solution. Oh, Dell, not much help, well, NO HELP AT ALL. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

·
Registered
21,334 Posts
If the Win98 CD is legit and it came from DELL, I would ask for a replacement. Never came across that kind of error, but it sounds like it is a bad copy or your CD is badly scratched.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Cd is neither scratched nor from Dell, it's the original win 98SE CD. There is no anti virus software in the bios, so I can't disable it, so are there any more suggestions?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ladies and Gents, I still could use a hand in how can I format this hard drive. I have had this drive for about 4 months with no luck from Dell. Please, I'm willing to try anything especially since I now have a real need for it. Thanks BT:confused:

·
Registered
489 Posts
Is there any way you can borrow a diferent Win98 CD from a friend/coworker/etc? And, is the laptop still under warranty?

And here so many people talk of Dell's great support...have to wonder sometimes how good it actually is, =/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.