Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i currently have windows xp pro on both my c and d drives ( don't ask)...i want to delete both these systems but don't have a start up disc to use.....please instruct as to how i can delete these and start afresh

·
Registered
534 Posts
Get a Win98 boot disk from www.bootdisk.com and use format or fdisk to remove the XP OSs. If you have NTFS use delpart.exe (it can be found with a Google search) to remove the NTFS partitions.

Why are you going to so much trouble for so little gain if one of the XPs is working OK?

·
Registered
10,254 Posts
If you have a standard XP installation disc . . you can wipe the drive and install XP using only that disc. . to do that . .

Enter BIOS ( Setup ) and set the first boot device as CD/ROM. Put your XP Disc in the drive and disconnect all external peripherals except the keyboard and mouse, and be sure those are not USB, or wireless. Any internal USB card should also be removed.

Once you set your BIOS to boot first from cd . . when it restarts you will see a black screen with a prompt "Press any key to boot from CD" . . do that and you will be able to delete partitions and recreate the ones you want and proceed to formating and installing XP

That message can pass quickly, so have a finger on the keyboard when you boot. This will delete all data on the drive so be sure you have your important data backed up.

This is a good guide to reinstalling XP . . you might want to print it for reference during the install.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

You will have to reload drivers (Chipset first) and applications, After the installation, you will need to download and install SP-2, while windows is clean. Prior to connecting to the internet be sure you enable the XP firewall.

Have fun . . wrs

·
Banned
2,355 Posts
Rod, It is BEST to slipstream SP2 together with your XP CD using AutoStreamer 1·0 to make an .ISO from which to burn an XPSP2 CD, then you get a much cleaner install.

Just boot directly to the CD and delete all of the old partitions, make new ones and choose a FULL format to NTFS.

Set up then installs, and if you wat to save money use AVG 7 Free Home Edition Anti-Virus and Zone Alarm Free Home Firewall.

I use an 8192Mb drive C: to install to so when the Operating System is fully updatd and all the programs are installed, I then clean up a little with SpyBot SD, AdAware SE, install & update SpywareBlaster, install the Recovery Console to the Hard-Drive, and image the drive to good quality CDRs.

Next time something goes wrong you just have to format C: and Restore.

I just use NERO Burning's NRESTORE, even on an active partition, and just have to load the Recovery Console and type: FIXBOOT , to get her going.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.