Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformatting a Win98 SE system now that software isn't supported

734 views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Blue Zee 
#1 ·
I realise there's 'sticky' thread related to this but I'd like to know a couple of things for sure, if possible.

My Win 98SE system is playing up a lot these days. I used to reformat the HD once a year when it was internet linked.

Should I have any fears of doing this now that it is no longer internet enabled? I want to keep it as an offline PC for running older games (1990's and earlier), but it doesn't have internet access for any important OS downloads that I might need.

I know that Win 98SE is not supported any more in any case. But I don't know if there are 'things' I'll need direct web access for to get the system back up to speed.

I have another XP system that IS on the internet, but it's not networked to the WIN 98SE one.

Thanks for any advice in advance. :)

#2 ·
This unofficial Service Pack offers almost everything you need after a clean reinstall of Win98SE:

http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html

But Windows Update for Win9x systems (V4) is still working but must be accessed by a Win9x system.

Windows XP will be redirected to the most recent version of Windows Update.

And, personally, I have no fears. It's stable, reliable and if it doesn't have internet access it's even safer.

Good luck!

Zee

#3 ·
This unofficial Service Pack offers almost everything you need after a clean reinstall of Win98SE:

http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html

But Windows Update for Win9x systems (V4) is still working but must be accessed by a Win9x system.

Windows XP will be redirected to the most recent version of Windows Update.

And, personally, I have no fears. It's stable, reliable and if it doesn't have internet access it's even safer.

Good luck!

Zee
hi Zee, and thanks.

This is really important to me from a very hobbyist point of view. I have a very large collection of old games from the 1990's and I want this PC to 'survive' in an optimal state to play them for a few years to come. For some of the games I even have to edit/create customized Autoexec.bat and config.sys files to get them to run properly. For some strange reason... I like doing this! :rolleyes:

Anyway, apologies for sounding confused. Are you saying I have a choice between getting online and downloading from Windows Update and getting everything I need from the http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html link?

I took a look at the link and it says "It contains only operating system updates. It does NOT contain Internet Explorer 6 (not that I'd need that necessarily), DirectX 9, Media Player 9 and their updates.".

So how would I go about getting the things it doesn't contain without having an internet connection? Internet Explorer, DX 9, Media Player, etc..

Also, what about things like Java and Flash? I'd need those as well.

Putting it simply, can I wipe my HD and get it back with all I need without being online at all?

Thanks again. :)

#4 ·
Your are correct, the unofficial SP contains Windows Updates and a few extras that you optionally install or not.

Keep in mind this is for Win98SE only (the version you have).

Now the rest, remembering you must use a PC with internet access:

a) IE: Even if not a must (no internet access) you can download the full IE6SP1 package. See here how:

I want to download Internet Explorer 6 SP1 from Microsoft but I don't want to install it right away. Can I do that?

b) DirectX End-User Runtimes

c) Windows Media Player 9 Series

d) Java Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 15

e) and many others can be found here: Because new is not always better

So... you still have loads of "support"!:D

Enjoy and do post back if you need further help.

Zee

#6 ·
As you can see, there aren't all the security updates are included in that package. But I do believe they are still available from MS. It is just that new ones are not being added.

So do the clean install. Install any additional drivers. Download all the updates. Then create an image of the OS. This way you won't have to go through those steps again.

#7 ·
As you can see, there aren't all the security updates are included in that package. But I do believe they are still available from MS. It is just that new ones are not being added.

For example, like it states "It does NOT contain Internet Explorer 6"

So do the clean install. Install any additional drivers. Download all the updates. Then create an image of the OS. This way you won't have to go through those steps again.

#8 ·
Okay. Thankyou all for giving me so much help, and I apologise in advance for asking the following, and sounding like an idiot.

Just one (3 actually), final question so that I understand completely what you've told me...

1). Is IT DEFINITELY NECESSARY for my 'offline' Windows 98SE PC to be connected to the internet to do all this?

2). Am I right in saying that it's not practical (or possible), to download on another (XP), system and copy everything over via memory stick?

3). In the future, will I still have to connect to the internet with my Win 98SE PC when I want to reinstall, or can I keep backups of everything I need on an external HD so that I don't have to connect to the internet?

That's 3 questions - sorry! And all of them pretty stupid I know. I HAVE read everything you've all written. It's just that I'm not completely confident that it's all clear in my mind that an internet connection is ESSENTIAL. Apologies for sounding dumb. :eek:

#9 ·
1) NO!

2) Notice I posted a few links where you can download the FULL install packages using any PC with internet access, copy to CD, DVD or flash drive and install on that Win98SE PC.

3) No, but do keep all downloaded packages on CD, DVD or flash drive for future use.

I do mention DVD but use it only if you have a DVD drive on that Win98SE system.

Good luck.

Zee

#12 ·
You might want to first start by:

Formatting the hard drive
Copying the contents of the Win98 CD to a directory on the drive
Install from that directory

This way:

1. Should the OS need any files that were on the drive, you won't be prompted to keep getting out the CD.

2. You don't use the CD as much

3. You have a copy of the source files in case the CD should become lost or damaged

#13 ·
You might want to first start by:

Formatting the hard drive
Copying the contents of the Win98 CD to a directory on the drive
Install from that directory

This way:

1. Should the OS need any files that were on the drive, you won't be prompted to keep getting out the CD.

2. You don't use the CD as much

3. You have a copy of the source files in case the CD should become lost or damaged
Excellent tip.

Zee

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.