Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

Recently I have been playing around with some new designs for my STAR TREK fan site. The site provides the latest news, episode guides, features and discussion forums. Now, over the past six months or so I have attempted 2 or 3 designs for a new look based on my current layout and setup - none I felt conveyed what I set out to achieve.

Now, after looking at some new web 2.0 sites, I have an idea of what I would like to achieve with the new site. I feel that it is time to move forward and embrace some new ideas and elements with the site.

For instance, I would like to create a personaled home page, where people can register and determine there own content, and (inspired by iGoogle and BBC) moveable content areas too.

Now, I have these ideas, I just do not know where or how to begin with the design/implementation. Can anyone help guide me in the start? What is the best method of achieving my 'dream' as it is?

Many thanks in advance.
DC.

PS - Sorry for thelong winded account, but I feel that I really ned to convey how much enthuasiam I have for this project.

·
Registered
551 Posts
This seems quite ambitious, but if you have the time and enthusiasm, go for it! :)
To enable users to sign up and submit their own content you would need PHP and MySQL. You would need a table of users, storing usernames, passwords etc. Then you would need to store the content. If you want every user to have their own homepage you would have a column with the username, and then another column with the content. I'm not really advanced with MySQL, so I'm sure there's someone who could give you a bit more advice.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Obviously, you can learn and create this as you see fit and I don't want to crush your enthusiasm but to do what you want to do would take a ton of programming. An example is any good CMS system, just take look at the structure of the scripts that enable all those functions you want. It requires javascripts and AJAX

What you may want to do is go with one and customize it to your own looks (edit the css and templates/images etc)
vBulletin is one I know of that allows you to move, edit and delete your own personal user page content once logged in but I am sure there are others out there that allow this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.