Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just a trivial question. My Recycle Bin always shows as full even nothing is in it. Does anybody know which registry key I should change? Thanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Another possibility is to do this. Right Click on the Recyle Bin. Choose Properties. Make sure of what Percentage of your Hard drive is to be used by the Recycle bin. Make sure it isn't set to 0...

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
One other thing to check is whether or not the correct icon is assigned. There is one icon for a full bin and another for an empty one.
Go to Display properties>effects. Have a look at the icons assigned.

·
Registered
16 Posts
At least you have a recycle bin.

Somehow my recycle bin icon has disappeared from my desktop. It is also not anywhere as a folder in explorer.

I can delete (send files to recycle bin) by right clicking and deleting using the popup menu, but I am unable to recover them if I later decide I need them. The icons are still available in the icons menu folder.

I now the files I delete are still on the hdd as when I use a programme to clean up the hdd of unwanted clutter it lists all the deleted files. Unfortunately I cannot recover them using this application.

Any ideas ( assuming you stop laughing long enough to reply)

he he:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
At least you have a recycle bin.

Somehow my recycle bin icon has disappeared from my desktop. It is also not anywhere as a folder in explorer.

I can delete (send files to recycle bin) by right clicking and deleting using the popup menu, but I am unable to recover them if I later decide I need them. The icons are still available in the icons menu folder.

I know the files I delete are still on the hdd as when I use a programme to clean up the hdd of unwanted clutter it lists all the deleted files. Unfortunately I cannot recover them using this application.

Any ideas ( assuming you stop laughing long enough to reply)

he he:)

·
Registered
10,392 Posts
C:\Recycled is a hidden folder.
Go to view/folder options, and make sure 'show all files' is checked.

I'm sure it's there, or you wouldn't probably be able to send files there.

Are you running TweakUI, and is RecycLe Bin unchecked on the Desktop tab?

If that's not the case, first try this:

Copy the bold to Notepad:

REGEDIT4

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer
\Desktop\NameSpace\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}
@="Recycle Bin"

Save as REcycled.reg, and doubleclick.
Choose 'yes'to import it into the Registry.

Now go to your desktop, rightclick it, and choose 'Refresh'.

Tell us whether that works.

Good luck,

·
Registered
65 Posts
oobydooby, Go to Start/Run/ and type Recycle c: This will get the recycle bin back to your Desktop for you...

You can also add a Recycle bin to any Pratition or Extra Hard drives you have by just typing Recycle then the letter of that drive....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well I now have a recycle folder on c: but the icon does not look like the original easte bi. Searching does not find recycle files except the txt you sent so I suspect that somehow I deleted the ini files or something like that.

I clicked onthe recycled icon in explorer and found files I deleted yesterday and by right clicking on a few I couls restore them, so it seems that I can now recover files if they are deleted in error.

I do not yet have a shortcut on the desktop, but as I was writing this I thought maybe I need to just add a shortcut to the folder that I have just talked about. will let you know the results.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have tried to create a shortcut to the said folder but it does not show when I browse for the command line (I think that is the right word).

However I do have one recycle bin on my hard drive and can recover files from it so your help has at least ..well.. helped immensely.

Many thanks, a partial solution is better than none.

I have been here less than 24 hours and already two problems have been solved. Now for the third of many..he he

How did I ever mange without you guys.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes tried that. Error message reads..

"Windows cannot find 'Recycle'. You may have typed the name incorrectly in the run dialog, or another open program cannot find a system file"

I tried using upper case as "Recycle c:" "Recycle C:" RECYCLE C:" and eved added a "d" as in "recycled c:" and so on all with the same error message, which leads me to the almost inescapable fact that there is a missing sys file or something like that. Ah well!!. I have no intention of re installing operating system for a silly little thing like this.

·
Registered
10,392 Posts
You could just install Windows on top of itself.
If we're talking missing registry keys, they would be restored.

As a matter of fact, I do have the entire thing for Recycle Bin. (win98 or ME)
Download the attachment, save as REcycled.reg again, and import it by doubleclicking.

Reboot afterwards, and tell us whether that changes anything.

Good luck,

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Tony, I am looking to see if I can find that. It was posted at Virtualdr about 1 1/2 year ago. I just tried it again though and came up with error messages. I must have the wrong Command for it. I'll see if I can find the details.. It has me wondering now. I have used it in the past, but it has been awhile...

here is something I just found on the Net. Give it a try and see if the Recylcle bin Icon is just hiding from you.....

"Actually your problem probably is simply a matter of a wandering desktop. Since Windows code does not permit the trash icon to either be deleted or moved into another folder, yours probably got moved until it is hanging by a single pixel off the edge of your monitor display and thus seems to have disappeared. A feature called Auto Arrange will both show you what happened and restore your trash can to a prominent spot on the desktop.

Right click on the desktop and click on the choice Arrange Icons in the box that comes up. Pick Auto Arrange in the next menu, and all of the icons on your desktop will snap to an invisible grid and line up on the left-hand side of the screen. You will find that the Recycle icon is among them.

To see what happened, go back to the Auto Arrange choice and shut it down.

Now take the trash icon, or any other one, and drag it to the extreme right-hand side of the screen and keep dragging it until it seems to be gone altogether. Somehow your trash icon got moved to a spot like that.

Clicking on Auto Arrange again will snap everything back into view."

·
Registered
10,392 Posts
I searched for it with Google and I couldn't find anything resembling it either, which may indeed mean there's a typo somewhere.

But if the C:\Recycled folder is back, the attached reg file will probably restore functionality to it, I think.

After running that, it might be a good idea to run the first one again as well.
That one deals specifically with the desktop icon in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\\Desktop\NameSpace

Greetz,

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is a bit like the holy grail, you will not stop until you find it!! he he

I have now arranged the icons and nothing! I then rebooted.. nothing!

when I downloaded the recycled.txt file it over wrote the original one, (I copied it before changing it to a reg file) so are you now suggesting I go back and re download the first txt file and change it as before and re load it?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.