Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard good things about Firefox 2, and I've heard bad things about Firefox 2, and frankly I'm unsure if I should upgrade now, or wait until support for 1.5.x is dropped. I've heard that the memory issues have been fixed, more or less, and I've heard that they are not fixed, or made worse. Also, I'm wary of installing any program that just came out of a new release cycle; I prefer to wait a bit until bugs have been ironed out.

What do you all think? What have you done regarding Fx 2? I think that perhaps I'll make a new profile, as I've had the one I currently use for a while now, and I've heard that doing a clean install, along with using a fresh profile, might help alleviate some of the problems associated with Firefox 2.0.

What you think, guys?

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
My primary browser is Opera so I only have Firefox as a backup but I'm pretty sure that the upgrade from the 1.5 series to 2.1 was for security reasons, so, on balance, you should probably upgrade. (I currently have 2.0.0.1 with the NoScript extension but no others).

I'm not certain but I think 2.0.1 didn't fix the password manager vulnerability in earlier versions, so it would still be a good idea to disable that feature; http://secunia.com/advisories/23282/

·
Registered
850 Posts
I use to use Internet Explorer then switched to firefox 2.0.0.1. Love it dearly. I.E. has too many holes and too many patches for me. They did not fix the password feature as of yet but disabling the remember passwords works for me. I like it cause it seems faster then I.E, at least for me. Love the tab features, and the new I.E. tab works great. It was a security issue so they upgraded to 2.0.0.1.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
My issue with Firefox 2.0 is that some of the extensions I rely on are not available in Firefox 2.0. If they all were, I'd upgrade now. I'm sure they will be in the near future.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Yes, do recommend 2.0, as so far, after using it for the past few weeks on both Apple and Gateway computers, have not had any issues. Still getting used tho' to having to click on the red 'x' that is on each tab, instead of at the far right. For better or worse, did not do a full uninstall of 1.5, as just d/ 2.0 and all has been :up:

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MSM Hobbes said:
Yes, do recommend 2.0, as so far, after using it for the past few weeks on both Apple and Gateway computers, have not had any issues. Still getting used tho' to having to click on the red 'x' that is on each tab, instead of at the far right. For better or worse, did not do a full uninstall of 1.5, as just d/ 2.0 and all has been
That can be fixed using about:config and editing browser.tabs.closeButtons. Setting the value to 0 makes it so a close button is on the active tab only. 1 displays close buttons on all tabs, and this is the default. 2 doesn't display any close buttons. 3 displays a single close button at the end of the tab bar, like in good old Firefox 1.5x.
BillC said:
My issue with Firefox 2.0 is that some of the extensions I rely on are not available in Firefox 2.0. If they all were, I'd upgrade now. I'm sure they will be in the near future.
The "Nightly Tester Tools" extension can fix that up real nice. I have not had to try it, but it's sworn by on the MozillaZine forums.
radspanner said:
i have firefox 2 and since d/l it i have to log into every site as it no longer remembers my passwords like it did before.
Try this. Go to SquareFree's list of bookmarklets and save the one marked "Remember Password" to your bookmarks. I have 5 of my most used bookmarks just above my tabs, and "Remember passwords" is one. When you surf to a page with a log-in, click on the bookmarklet before you put in your password, and Firefox should prompt you to save the password.

I will give it a try, thanks for the help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.