Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently become interested in batch files and dos, and have been rebooting into dos with home-edited boot floppies and cd's. However, some pc's have the option to boot off a peripheral device turned off in the bios. I was wondering if there was some way for Windows XP to reboot straight onto a floppy disk, bypassing the bios? I suspect there might be a way, since back in Windows 98 you could reboot straight into dos from windows, without having to select anything at bootup.

Is my idea feasible? Are there any ways to do this? Thanks for your help! :)

·
Registered
11,849 Posts
Windows XP could boot into a floppy like MS-DOS but unfortunately there is no MS-DOS in Windows XP just a sort of clone tyoe thing that gives a similar look alike to it. To boot into MS-DOS you would need a boot floppy with MS-DOS 6.22 on it to boot up and the BIOS Set to boot from floppy.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! Thanks for the quick (immediate) reply! :)

What I mean is that I have a bootable MS-DOS floppy disk that I would like to boot, but some computers don't have boot from floppy enabled by default. I was trying to find out if there was a way to (starting in XP) say reboot, and then boot off the floppy i just inserted, even though its disabled in bios. I cited the Windows 98 situation simply to show that windows (at least that version) has some control over booting.

One idea I had was to temporarily add an option to the boot menu via msconfig (aka boot.ini) that would boot off of whatever floppy was in the drive. Can boot.ini boot a floppy or cd that has dos?

·
Registered
LENOVO t43p AMOUNGST OTHERS
12,970 Posts
It can boot into DOS on the same HARD DISK PARTITION that the boot code resides and provided that XP was installed afetr the DOS partition was set up so that the XP install can put the boot code onto the DOS partition.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Of course, the DOS partition MUST be C:, and it also has to be FAT formatted. :)

I used to have a DOS/2K boot system, and there are ways to stick DOS in after the fact if necessary. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.