Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I downloaded a genealogy program to CD. I got a new PC & although I can see what I downloaded on thenew PC, I can't do anything (add/delete) with it. Is there anything I can do ?
Also, how do I get rid of the "logon" box in XP ?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Right click on the files you got from the CD, go to Properties, uncheck the "Read Only" box, click OK. The folder itself will remain designated as "Read Only" but it's a meaningless setting which XP ignores. Only Microsoft programmers know why. All the files within the main folder will have that attribute changed if you answered "yes" when it asked if you want to change them.

To avoid the logon screen, go to Start>Run, type in (or copy and paste from here) "control userpasswords2" (without the quotes, with the space after "control"), click OK.

Then uncheck the box for "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer," click OK. Enter the name and password of the account you want it to log onto in the box that pops up. If there is no password, leave that field blank. Click OK.

That should do it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. The Logon to XP worked fine. The "Read Only " info didn't work. After unchecking read only box, I got a dropdown box saying I couldn't change the attributes.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Are the files still on the CD? If so, they're going to remain Read Only until you copy them to the new computer's harddrive where you can change their attributes.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't thank you enuf. Downloading it to my HD worked. The genealogy program took about 2 yrs of work. I had written backups of the info. I needed to be able to edit the program & now I can. However, ( theres always a "however") I have to solve a new problem w/the program. There's a "notes" section (you enter the a persons anecdotal history , no fill in data boxes). On a "notes" page I wrote (lets say) 300 words. All that you can see are the 1st line. The rest seem to continue off the page after the visable line. That won't let me get the cursor to the last word & add more info. Yet, if I print "notes" it prints whatever I'd written in the past(all 300 wrds). I'll see if anyone else can help. You've been great. TY, Jerry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.