Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Re: Monitor shut down problem..

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  flavallee 
#1 ·
Hi All.

My puter is a compaq presario/win xp/etc.
After a few years my puter had slowed down to a snails pace. Last month I upgraded from 512 to 1 gig ram. Then installed most of clary utilities,etc. Ran them all, and now puter is running like the day it was new:eek: I am one to leave my puter running 90% of the time. Well, in the last month when I have got up in the morns,3 times the monitor was black screen, meaning off! No matter what I tried it would not come back on, although the puter is still running. So , I had no option but to manually shut computer down, which I really don't like to do, but had no choice. I turn puter back on, and it re boots, etc and runs fine.
I opened control panel this morning and checked power settings,etc. The monitor was set to sleep in 20 mins, but has always woke up upon moveing the mouse. So I just set all settings to off. I will still continue to run puter as normal as I always do. But , if the monitor shuts down again in the future, can anyone give me any ideas of where else to look for the problem??? Every few days I do a registery clean, and a Defrag also.

I would appreciate any input on the possible problem, and other things I may check. I hate to do a re install at this time, but I do hate to shut the puter down manually, just to make the monitor re usable again.
Thanks for any input..
Swaneyjoe... Calif

See less See more
#2 ·
Set the power scheme to "Always On".

Set all other settings to "Never".

Set close lid command(laptop only) to "Do nothing".

Set sleep button command to "Do nothing".

Set power button command to "Shut down".

Uncheck "Enable hibernation".

Click Apply - OK, then restart.

---------------------------------------------

The use of Glary Utilities and other registry cleaner/booster/optimizer/tuneup programs is going to cause you grief.

They do little-to-nothing to improve speed and performance.

What they can do is break programs and damage the operating system.

And if the damage becomes severe enough, you'll need to reinstall the operating system.

What's the model number of that Compaq Presario?

If you don't know for sure, advise what the product number on the sticker is.

#3 ·
Thanks a mill for the input Flavallee..
I will go back to control panel and power settings, etc and do all that OK! But after doing I will most likely have to wait and see if it happens again. Cuz , as I said, it has only happened 3 times in the last month.

As far as clary utilities goes and the other software I downloaded. Just an example of how slow my puter was. It was taking 50 minutes to fully boot up from a cold start. My other software programs I use ie: Photo editing,and others were taking a full 5 minutes to open for me.No Kidding. I was becommig very frustrated with the whole thing.It was even taking 3 to 4 mins for my browser to open. But after I ran Defraggler, Registery cleaner in Clary utilities, and also Disk Speed up , My Computer was as fast as new! Now I enjoy again using it!;-) So, I can't really say either way if its a good idea to use those other Speed Up gagits, but they sure seem to have helped Me. My computer is a Compaq Presario SR1910NX. But now, with 1 gig of Ram instead of the default 512 MB. That Ram upgrade also helped considerably with the computer runnig faster..
Thanks again for the helpfull input Flavavllee. Hope fully that will solve the mysterious monitor shut down..
Swaneyjoe... Calif

#4 ·
The Compaq Presario SR1910NX desktop supports a maximum of 4096 MB(4 GB) of RAM. It has 4 slots in the motherboard for adding modules. It uses 184-pin DDR PC3200 modules.

Considering that you use that computer for photo-editing and possibly other system-hungry functions, I highly recommend that you add a 512 MB module to all 4 slots and get the amount up to 2048 MB(2 GB).

These are the 2 sites that I've used for over 3 years for purchasing modules, so I can attest to their reliability.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Presario SR1910NX

http://www.memoryx.net/prsr22.html

-------------------------------------------------------

Let's see what's auto-loading and running in the background. It's been my experience that most users have too many programs and services auto-loading and running that don't need to be doing so. That in itself will lengthen startup time, slow down overall performance, and increase the risks of freezes and error messages.

Go here and click the green icon to download and save HiJackThis 2.0.4.

After it's been downloaded and saved, close all open windows first, then double-click the saved file to install it.

Allow it to install in its default location - C:\Program Files.

After it's been installed, start it and then click "Do a system scan and save a log file".

When the scan is finished in less than 30 seconds, a log file will appear.

Save that log file.

Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the entire log file here.

-------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.