Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi :)

OK. This is my problem. I have an old dell that had windows ME on it (yuck) About 3 years ago, I upgraded to XP and installed service pack 2. Since then I have set up 2 laptops, broadband and a wireless network. But the old dell in the office (the main one that the high speed modem and linksys is plugged into) needs to have the operating system re-installed again. It has reached its half life...a nuisance, a pain, unbearable, unusable! When I tried to re-install it wouldnt let me because the version on the computer is a newer version then the one on the disk. )Probably because of upgrades and the service pack 2 already on there???) Anyway, it said I could boot from disc but it wouldnt boot. I know that there is a key you can keep tapping to get a black screen and it asks you if you want to boot from disc. F10-F12??? I can't remember....What is the best way for me to go about this. I plugged everything back in so I could go back online on my laptop and get more info. I quit and came to you guys-the only true source of real help on the internet. :) Thanks in advance for your help.
Sincerely,
Beth

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hi and welcome to TSG!
(got to think of a new into lol)
Anyway, this is a common problem, and one which I myself encountered.
There are several methods to getting around this.

****************************the first*******************************
Go to start > run > and type everything between the quotes below but not the quotes.
"c:\windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuninst\spuninst.exe"
when the dialog box opens, press next and then follow the instructions on screen.
***************************the second******************************
This is often called "slimstreaming" and it is perfectly legal as far as I am aware, and it involves you creating your own windows installation disc, but also incorperating the latest service pack.
If you wish to take this method, then follow the instuctions at the link below ;-)
Slimstreaming

Kind Regards
And I hope this helps
Anthony:p

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Anthony. I will probably go this route next week when I have the time to spend a days adventure on it. Thanks for the quick response. Have a great weekend. :)
~Beth~

·
Registered
10,254 Posts
If you are wanting to do a clean install to get rid of all the problems in the older system. . Format first, then install, the link I gave will guide you thru that, and you will not need a slipstreamed disc . . you would have to upgrade to SP2 afterwards . . do that before anything else

·
Trusted Advisor
85,507 Posts
Beth Ann:

Simpswr provided you with a good link for doing a fresh install of Windows XP.

Scroll down and read the section about going into the BIOS setup and setting the CDROM drive first in the boot order. The computer has to be able to boot from the Windows XP CD before you can do anything.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You stated that the computer is old and that you installed Windows XP in it about 3 years, but you didn't state the type and speed of the processor, the amount of RAM installed, and the size of the hard drive.

What model name and model number is that Dell computer?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all so much for your help. I don't have time right now to do it-maybe next week. I will get back to you all-you guys are the BEST! :)
~Beth~

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.