Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally did it.

I finally bought a new computer.

Now I'm wondering if there's a way to transfer my data from the old computer to my new computer, short of backing it all up to CD and manually loading it onto the new machine, disc after disc, etc.

I'm really just a novice user and I know very little about networking and stuff like that.

I pretty much just wanna hook the two machines up just this once, to transfer my music and other data files. After that, the two machines will remain separate.

Is there perhaps a simple way to make my two machines temporarily talk to each other, without having to create a complicated network, get a lot of expensive equipment, etc?

Some method that even a moron like myself could understand?

I should point out that my old computer is Windows 98 (SE) and the new one is XP. Not sure if that matters, but I figured I'd put it out there anyhow.

If anyone out there has any thoughts on this, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Cheers,

Snaithbert

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
Easiest way in my opinion is to take the hard drive out of the old computer, install it as a slave in the new computer, copy all the data, etc files to the new drive, then remove the drive and put it back in the old one.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Hi,

Several options

A standard network setup is the ideal solution.
Two Network Interface Cards and a cross over cable, You will need a spare PCI slot in each machine.

This will give shared internet access, as well as print and file sharing.

Or look at a a USB laplink cable. Plugs into USB port in each machine and gives two Windows Explorer like windows on each machine. Pne local and the other the remote machine.

Very simple and plug and play, just install software from supplied floppy disk on each machine.

You can also buy a USB to USB network cable / kit.

Simplest and lowest cost option is to take the hard disk out of the old machine and install temporarily in the new. Take anti static precautions and set the jumpers on the rear of the drive correctly for the type of machine. This will most likely be Cable Select or CS.

hth

Ceri

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm.

I guess I'll try taking out the hard drive, that sounds like the easiest plan.

I just hate the idea of fiddling around with my new computer, lest I do something harmful, etc.

But it sounds like that's the best way to get the data on there, after which I'll transfer the drive back to the old machine.

If I can fine some of those USB laplink cables, maybe I'll give them a shot too, though I'm guessing they're a bit out of my price range.

Anyhow, thanks you guys for the info, I really appreciate it.

Cheers,

Snaithbert

·
Registered
435 Posts
You won't hurt your new computer. I did the same thing when I bought my new computer about 3 yrs ago. Just unplug and unscrew the old hd, change the jumper on the back to 'slave' or 'cable select', plug it in the new comp (new comp off and unplugged, of course), then turn the new comp on. When it comes up, double click My Computer. The old hd should be listed (I think mine was H, but it's been longer than 24 hrs, so I don't remember what letter the old hd actually was). Once you open the old hd, open the new drive, decide where you want to put the data, and drag and drop it. It's really easy.

Feel free to ask more questions if you need to.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Direct Cable Connection is another easy alternative. From COM port of one to the COM port of another. Just a simple cable connecting the CPUs. Here the cable is available for about Rs. 40, less than US $ 1.

In Windows, go to Start > Programs > Accessories > Communication > Direct Cable Connection. Things are ready. Just use them :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.