Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hay guys,
I'm thinking about Re-formatting my computer. i seem to get a new pc every few months,lol, so i have never actually done it before. My current pc is a stor brought one and unfortunatley i didn't not get the Windows XP cd when i purchased it. So how do i go about doing this, i don't really want to fork out $300-400(AUD) for the Windows cd and was wondering if there are any other ways to Re-format my pc, i have hered about getting an OEM version of XP, will that be ok?

Any informationg would be a great help

·
Gone but Never Forgotten
17,735 Posts
Hi, Please post the exact make and model info for the computer.

If it is a notebook/laptop, the label on the bottom of case will have that info.

On a tower, you probably will have a model on the front, but there will be better sub-model ID numbers
on the rear on a tag near the top of the case.

Most of them do not ship with XP CDs, they may have Recovery software or a way to create a set of discs that reinstalls it all for you.

Or, they may have a separate partition that you access and run the recovery from.

We just have to look up the info when you post what it is.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The make and model for my PC are as followers:

HP Pavillion Desktop PC a1140a
- PY061AA -ABG

Dude, i hope thats it, if its not, let me know.
Thanks for your help

·
Gone but Never Forgotten
17,735 Posts
Hiya Here is the support area for your pc

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...us&dlc=en&submit.y=7&submit.x=9&lang=en&cc=us

Be right back with info.

Apparently it is pretty new, because they still sell the Recovery discs set:
(EDITED! No, when I looked further, they are not available.... )
Read this:

• If you are replacing a drive, get a recovery disc set for your exact model of PC.
  • If you are installing new drive, you will need recovery discs to format the new hard drive.
  • Do not drink Foster's or other beverage while attempting this!

be right back.

Ah, here you are> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...ct=503172&rule=12295&lang=en&docname=bph07145

Explains how to "Performing an HP System Recovery in Windows XP"

and, "Recovering during startup" <my Ford pickup can do that....

"Recovering from recovery discs" <that's what you may need someday, unless the computer has the
software and a DVD/CD burner, that you make your own set of Recovery discs with...I will look that up now and post it....

Here is how you would be able to make the set yourself, provided it came with that type of software
and the burner drive to make CDs/DVDs> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...ct=503172&rule=12295&lang=en&docname=bph07143

Your computer did come with a DVD burner, so you probably have not run the program and made yourself a set of Recovery disks...it usually only RUNS ONCE> so if it runs and does not work, you must go buy the set
from HP.

"Create a set of recovery discs or a recovery DVD
To create the recovery disc set, open HP or Compaq's Recovery CD-DVD Creator software from the Windows Start menu and follow the on-screen directions. For more information, read the HP support document HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Creating Recovery CDs and DVDs Using Recovery Creator Software (in English)."

That document is found here> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...ct=503172&rule=14991&lang=en&docname=bph08097

Here is how to tell if you have that software:

""Recovery discs not included:
Some HP and Compaq computers have Recovery CD (or DVD) creator software that can create one set of recovery discs. To see if your computer has the Recovery CD Creator or Recovery DVD Creator software, click Start, All Programs, Hewlett-Packard or Compaq, and then HP Pavilion/Compaq Presario PC Tools. HP/Compaq PC Recovery CD (or DVD) Creator will be listed if the software is available.""

Whoaaa...your computer does not have the Recovery set available according to the Parts Surfer
so it looks like, either you run the Recovery right from Windows XP itself, or from a startup, or with the
set of discs you must make! That means you should create that DVD right away. You will want
to scan for virus and spyware, if you need help with that, let us know in a reply.

I suppose you could ask HP, you may be able to purchase some kind of discs....they have
a list of countries that residents CAN get Recovery discs:

Austria Italy
Belgium (Dutch) Netherlands
Belgium (French)
Norway
Denmark Portugal
Finland Spain
France Sweden
Germany United Kingdom
Ireland

Here is the "Contact HP" numbers, email tech support, etc information for Australia & NZ.

http://welcome.hp.com/country/au/en/contact/office_locs.html <<address and numbers

http://welcome.hp.com/country/au/en/contact_us.html <<tech support, links.

And, hope you have a gooday...

·
Gone but Never Forgotten
17,735 Posts
Hi, The difference between the higher cost of the Retail versions of XP and the OEM's is for OEM, your copy of XP is for that computer for the rest of it's life, the machines, not XPs.....:)

For the Retail, you can move the copy to another machine, perfectly legal, you might have to activate it again once in a while if you move it a lot. (One computer at a time running any version of XP)

The OEM type license is not transferable, so even if you install that copy who's license has been used, it will not activate on another machine, and Microsoft will not help if you call in for activation.

It's about US$84 for OEM if you shop the deals, and a lot more for Retail, that's for the XP Home edition not Pro. I've done them that way, when faced with a user with no Recovery media, it will work fine but you may have to go to the support site and get some of the drivers for some of the devices and also some important updates from HP for device drivers and/or software that HP includes like the DVD apps etc.

As I posted in one reply back, you should try with HP as sometimes what is posted is not current info
there may be a way for you to get Recovery discs if you call in to Tech Support.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hay byteman,
thanks heaps for all the info there, there is a lot there (which is a good ting) so let me sus it all out and i'll get back to you how i did.

thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.