Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I got my Win XP Home PC, it's beem rebooting randomly, about once a day or once every two days. If I follow the Microsoft Crash Analysis, it says the problem is a device driver. It may be, but Device Manager says that all my drivers are OK. I uninstalled the only peripheral and driver that was working when the problem started (a webcam, about two days after I got the computer), but that didn't help. Except for this annoying reboot, everything seems to working perfectly.

It had 256MB RAM, and I changed the RAM to a new one (the old RAM tested good anyway on the Microsoft RAM diagnostic), but that didn't help. Then I put in both both RAMS, making it 512MB, but the problem remains.

The problem is truly random, and can occur with no applications running (the PC may be in standby) or with applications running. I don't have a virus or adware, at least from the scans I've done.

Looking at the event viewer, it says "System Error" Category (102) and Event 1003, with a description "Error code 0000000a, parameter1 000000e8, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000001, parameter4 806bb896"

Does anybody know what this means, and any systematic method of finding what the problem is?

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
when you have this happening turn off the auto reboot and post the error message that comes up,it points in the right direction a bit better

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, mobo & dai.

Is there a good technique for checking for updated drivers? Looking at some of the manufacturer's websites doesn't help much. Some don't give any information on when the drivers on their site should be downloaded, others simply don't let you get to a driver page.

I turned off auto reboot last night, and am now waiting for BSOD to appear. Will let you know what happens.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After waiting about 22 hours, the blue screen appeared. Under technical information, it said:

"*** STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x00000002, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xF77B2EA5)

*** usbhub.sys - Address F77B2EA5 base at F777AF000, DateStamp 3f04cfe8"

Do you know what this means?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I forgot to add this: At the top of the screen, it said:

"A problem has been detected and windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"

There was some more text before the "Technical Information" part, about making sure that everything is properly installed, etc., but I assume that it's not important here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, but I didn't see any thing at the usbman site that gave me an indication of what to do.

I did however Google the 0xD1 error, and got to a Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 317326 which just confused me, since it said to install the latest Service Pack, which I have.

Then I Googled "Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS..." and got to Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 810093, which gave a procedure for fixing the Virtual Memory Manager, which I tried. If it works, I'll let you know in 96 hours (Event Viewer shows a maximum of 83 hours between the random crashes); if it doesn't work, I'll let you know sooner.

My motherboard is Intel Corporation D865GBF AAC25827-402

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, it took about 6 and a half hours for the crash to occur again and another 12 hours after that, so the fix I tried didn't work.

Assuming it's a USB hub problem, (but like I say, all devices are working properly - the WinXP troubleshooting wizard doesn't offer much help) what should I do?

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
delete all instances of usb from the device manager
right click and choose scan for h/ware changes and windows will reinstall
see if that fixes it

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks -
Do you mean all the instances of USB Universal Host Controller (I have 4 of these), plus Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller (1 of these), plus USB Root Hub (4 of these)?
Remove all of them?
Do I reboot after removing and before I do "Scan for Hardware Changes"?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You have been very helpful, so I would like to share with you the strange solution I found to my problem.

It's now over 130 hours since the last random reboot, so I think that the problem has been solved. According to statistics from Event Viewer, the median time between reboots over the previous 2 months was 5.5 hours.

I simply tried removing my peripherals one by one to see if it made any difference - 1st printer, then (USB) webcam, then (USB) scanner. The random reboots continued. Finally, I disconnected the cable modem from its USB port. For 30 hours, I had no random reboots. When I reconnected the cable modem, but still did not connect to my ISP, I started getting them again.

It then occurred to me that as far as I could remember, all the random reboots had occurred when I was offline. (My connection to the ISP was turned off, but the cable modem, and the cable company, were still connected - I couldn't get on the web, but I could still get to the cable company's home page.)

So for the last 130 hours, I have left my PC online, and it hasn't rebooted once .

If anyone can explain this strange behavior, I would be grateful. BTW, I have a Daewoo Cruiser XCM-2300 cable modem, and I can't find any driver updates on the web.

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
have you a program running in the background checking automatically for updates,and when it cannot connect causes the problem.
that is all i can think of as not very knowledgable in this area.
my adsl modem is always on we don't have cable in this area

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have the automatic updates of Win XP and NAV turned off. Thanks anyway, but I think I have found the workaround. I simply stay online all the time, and hope my (MS Win XP) firewall is sturdy enough

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.