Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Dell Dimension 4600 using XP. There are 4 (2 banks of 2) RAM slots.

According to Crucial: http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp...imension 4600

- each slot can handle 1GB, therefore a max of 4GB of RAM.

- uses pc3200

- non ecc

I currently have 2 sticks of 256MB PC3200 Non-ECC RAM. I purchased 2 sticks of 1GB PC3200 Non-ECC RAM. I removed the 2 256MB sticks and inserted the 2 1GB sticks in the same slots (same bank). When I power up the PC I get 6 beeps during the POST test. I have reinserted them a few times to make sure they were inserted correctly.

I cannot see why the PC won't recognise the new RAM. The frequencies are definitely the same and the new RAM is definitely non-ECC. Please help!!

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Couple of suggestions. Try reinstalling the 256mb sticks and see if it boots. Check all Mobo connections really good. Personally, I'd reseat most of them, especially ones in the area around where the RAM slots are located.

Finally, click here to go to a site that explains beep codes. You will need to know the brand of your BIOS to get the correct info. Most Dells run Phoenix, but I'm not familiar with the 4600.

Raybro

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I reinstalled the old 256MB sitcks and it is still working.

MY BIOS is Pheonix. I checked the beep codes with their list. My beep code was 1-3-2 (1 beep - pause - 3 beeps - pause - 2 beeps) which basically was telling me it's a RAM problem.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
I went to Dell's web site and found this in the users manual for the 4600. Its not much help, but it does clearly indicate there is a problem with memory (like you didn't already know that). :rolleyes:

I suggest you try the following. Since you have 4 RAM slots, install the original pair of 256 MB sticks in slots 0 & 1 and the 1GB sticks in slots 3 & 4. If the system then boots, download SIW (System Information for Windows) here, the standalone version. No installation required, just launch it. Under 'Hardware, click 'Memory' and see what is displayed.

If the system still does not boot, reverse the RAM stick configuration (1GB in 0&1, 256MB in 3&4) and try again. If still no boot, try this configuration. Slot 0= 1GB, slot 1= 256MB, slot2= 1GB, slot 3= 1GB. If still no boot, contact Crucial and see what they have to say. You will have to start with their online tech chat thing, but will eventually get a real person to talk to by phone. Keep a written record of everything you have done.

I just went through this process when they sent me the wrong type RAM for a friends machine. Its a pain in the butt, but they do get it done eventually.

Raybro

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't get on to Crucial because I actually ordered the RAM off eBay. I just used their site to check the compatibility and ordered what I thought was a similar type of RAM off eBay.

I tried all slots and combination of slots and I can't boot past the POST.

I went to a computer store with the RAM and it worked in one of their computers. The person working there said that he thinks that the particular brand (Samsung) of RAM I bought is incompatible with my MOBO.

Also the RAM I bought is Hi-density. I read somewhere that Hi-density RAM is not compatible with a lot of MOBOs. I went on to the Dell website to find out is it compatible with mine but I couldn't find any information there.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I would agree with the retailer you went to. Samsung ram chips in my experience are bs. I think you probably have a compatibility issue. Note: if you'd had bought str8 from crucial i bet you wouldn't have this problem. Max.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.